1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers to Favre: You can be Rodgers' backup......take that!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If he's on the active roster and doesn't start, then yes of course he loses his streak. Not sure if he stays retired, though, and comes back after the season starts. If he officially "unretires" in, say, week 3, is it over then?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I can't see him coming back and sitting on the sideline for 60 minutes with a clipboard as his famous streak goes down the tubes.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Packers should have gone one step further and also announced that Favre, as the backup, would also have to work to prove he can be a good holder on place kicks.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

With all due respect, Rodgers never has been in the position to give him a run for anything. Well, maybe for a coke from the cafeteria.

In a recent span of 1 1/2 years Mr. Rogers missed more practice and game time than Favre missed in the last 16 years.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Times change for all athletes, with age.

Favre could be buddies with his former backups, like Hasselbeck and Brunell, because he was clarly the king, and they were there to hold the clipboard.

Now, he's at the end of the line, and hopefully some part of him understands that he would be hard-pressed to duplicate last season, aside from the team-killing pick, of course. And Rodgers is the heir apparent, so it's not surprising he would shun the guy who was drafted specifically with the idea of "Well, Favre is near the end . . . time to worry seriously about who replaces him."

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

true. But I get a little tired of hearing about how Brett Favre walks on water and loves his teammates when he's freezing out Rodgers.

As Piotr says: Time changes for everyone. It's not 1994 anymore. It's not Rodgers' fault he got drafted to replace Favre, though I imagine millions will think otherwise if the Pack go 6-10 this year.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

And the longer this thing drags on, the harder it will be for the Packers to duplicate last year's success, regardless who's starting behind center. Favre may have been a team player at one point, but that was a long, long time ago.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That "mentoring" horseshit NEVER works, with anyone.

What top-level NFL quarterback can you think of who was "mentored" by an older Pro Bowl-level QB on his own team, who was happy to tutor the youngster until he was all ready to take his job?

Shit doesn't work like that. The reason great QBs are great (or even good) is because they're competitive as hell, and they'll cut the nuts off of anybody who tries to take their job.

About the only example I can sort of think of is Joe Montana and Steve Young, but a) Young didn't become great because of what he learned from Montana, and b) that relationship had quite a bit of friction as I recall.

Fuck "mentoring."

If the Packers (or any other team) think Brett Favre is good enough to be their starting QB, then bring him in to be your starting QB (or push somebody else to get better to beat him out). If not, hang it up.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember it being a big deal when Young wasn't invited to Montana's retirement presser.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If Matt Leinart turns into a good NFL QB I think his relationship with Kurt Warner would probably qualify. That says a hell of a lot about Warner, though, because I agree with your basic premise - the mentoring thing generally doesn't seem to work.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Matt Leinart is far more likely to go on IR with herpes than become a great, or even average, NFL QB.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

AP WIRE

NFL INJURY LIST

Arizona at Dallas

ARIZONA: DID NOT PRACTICE -- Matt Leinart, QB (venereal disease).

DALLAS: PRACTICED ON FRIDAY -- Terrell Owens, WR (vaginal discharge)

Draft saved Draft deleted