1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers to Favre: You can be Rodgers' backup......take that!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Jul 12, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Well said, he has been holding the Packers hostage for seasons with the "I will, I won't comeback" after each season and it as made it hard on the organization as far as wanting to move ahead. It seems like they have wanted to prepare for the day that he retired and look for the QB of the future, but if they did that they would have been seen as desrespectful.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

But Favre has no leverage here. He's either their backup, or he shuts the fuck up for a change.
    Though, HE hasn't said anything, yet. Only his agent and family. Which I also thinks is very fucked up.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, Favre would never undermine Rodgers, or even an entire organization by jerking them around time and time again.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Why did you leave out the rest of my post? As I said, if he undermines, then trade him immediately. What is the better option in all this?

You can't bring him back as the starter without totally screwing Rodgers.

You can't release him if you don't want him coming back and killing you with a rival team.

So the only other realistic option would be to trade him to a team of your choice right now, but you probably won't get much in return and will be pilloried if Rodgers gets hurt early in the pre-season.

This is the best option by default.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

If he undermines? What do you think he's been doing throughout this whole thing?

6. JackS

JackS Member

Nevermind.

Rant on, dude.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Does that mean you think he has not undermined Rodgers and the organization? If that's your stance, fine. I just think it's pretty clear that no matter what comes of this, he's hurting the organization.

8. JackS

JackS Member

Maybe, but that's not the point of my posts. I'm talking about what the Packers should do now, not what I think of Favre.

I'm advocating trading him, as long as Rodgers shows he can stay healthy for a month or two.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, as I mentioned on another thread, the Packers are in a tough situation. I think what they're trying to do with their latest announcement is force Favre to stay retired, take the PR hit and move on as they originally planned. Thompson and McCarthy know Favre will not agree to return as a backup, and I think they're hoping he'll just reconsider wanting to return at all if the ball is firmly in his court and he has to explain himself.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If he becomes a backup and doesn't play, does that mean he would lose his streak?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yes, Mort talked to him at length, I would assume. The article said Favre didn't want "to speak publicly" about the situation. I bet he gabbed for an hour "privately" with Mort about things. How else did Mort get "a source close to Favre."

Favre is close to Favre. That's his source from that camp.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I would think so.

Re: Favre undermining Rodgers...I always thought it was interesting that he's best friends with the likes of Craig Nall and Doug Pederson and (I think) really good friends with Mark Brunell and Matt Hasselbeck. Yet he's apparently reluctant to even give Rodgers the time of day. Guess it's not as easy to buddy up to someone who might actually give you a run for your money.

I would not want to be Aaron Rodgers. But I hope he makes the Pro Bowl. (And a legit berth too, not one of those "well, even Jeff Garcia has backed out, so let's go to our 12th choice" berths)

Draft saved Draft deleted