1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers beat writer, Green Bay, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All the talk about average college graduate's wages reminds me of "Bill Gates walks into a bar and raises everyone's average wealth by $45 billion."

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

To me, the truly elite jobs are the ones that pay the most at the largest outlets -- writing for ESPN, The New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe et cetera.

3. Sorry, but most reporters won't hit $55k. The median is $36K. The 75th percentile is $55K.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes273022.htm

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I would guess most NFL beat writers working for the primary paper(s) of the teams they cover make more than what Green Bay is paying.

But Green Bay is also the smallest market in the NFL and, unless I'm forgetting someplace, in major pro sports. It's the size of Midland, Texas (actually, a little smaller) or Davenport, Iowa. It's half the size of such metro hot spots as Mobile, Ala. and Akron, Ohio.

So we have two things at work. For a paper in that size market, $55-60k is HUGE. Having worked in markets that size, getting over $40k is asking for a lot.

However, for an NFL beat, that's relatively small potatoes. I'm guessing most make more than that, but they are at places like the Plain Dealer, where most of us can only wish to work for (does that guy still post in here?).

5. This is veering off topic, but out of curiosity I googled the average salary of a teacher at a randomly picked public high school in Green Bay. $56,000, which was actually much lower than I would have expected.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Fascinating. But I don't have any clue what your point is, and we are getting way off topic here.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Let's steer it back to topic then with another thing: cost of living. I can't imagine Green Bay would be a very expensive place to live... not like Milwaukee (which doesn't seem bad either) or definitely Chicago.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

San Diego pays much less than this job.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless something has changed, this job isn't being filled.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

By "this job," I take it you mean the SE position?

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

The job of volunteer firefighters in small towns and firefighters in urban areas is completely different. Like the difference between JV high school football and Division I college football. Volunteer firefighters contribute to communities and do a different job. But the same as an urban firefighter? No, not even close. When I was doing municipal coverage in New Jersey, some of these guys would say they could do as well as the Newark Fire Department. I asked how many times they would have four or five calls on a 14-hour night shift.

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Covering the Green Bay Packers for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is a better job than covering the Packers for the Green Bay Press-Gazette because more people read the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and because it generates more revenue, pays better.

Draft saved Draft deleted