1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers beat writer, Green Bay, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jul 16, 2013.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This begs the question...what are they doing for the SE job? Is it one of those deals where a manager is given more than one department to oversee?

And, does he remain a columnist or is he strictly a beat grinder?

Curious as to how the industry handles these kinds of move.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Didn't Appleton (the paper down the road), get rid of it's SE also a while back?
    Regional SE maybe?

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How can this be a truly elite job if it pays $55,000-$60,000?

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Uh, if you have to ask, then this truly elite job isn't for you. Any NFL beat job is usually an elite job, but when your beat is one of the NFL's premier teams, the prestige of the beat is amplified.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good Lord, what world are you living in?

That's a good salary to be paid for someone to cover pro football. You're not putting your life on the line every day, like a policeman or firefighter. You're not finding a cure for cancer or deciding whether or not to bomb Syria. You're not building a nuclear missile. You're covering football, for crying out loud. You don't even have to pay $400 per ticket for the best seat in the house, in a heated press box, no less. Lots of people would do it for free!

6. Lots of people are firefighters for free.

What's your point?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My point is that $55,000-$60,000 is a damn good salary, more than most of us will see in our lifetimes. Especially to cover pro football. Got it?

8. In my experience, because journalists are generally underpaid, they drastically underestimate what is a "good" salary for a professional at the pinnacle of one's career.

The median household income in Wisconsin is $52,000, which is actually slightly below the national average.

As of 2010, the average income for Americans with a bachelor's degree was $57,000. (It's $74,000 with a Master's degree).

I don't think there's anything wrong with $55,000 for this job. But to suggest that it's beyond the aspirations of the majority of this board to achieve a position that pays an average income for college graduates? Speak for yourself.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The ad doesn't mention a degree requirement.

But $74k? I'm not in journalism but won't ever touch that salary. Nor with my master's-holding best friend, who hasn't had a raise from $28k in the last seven years of her teaching gig.

Never mind the field; $55k in this economic environment isn't bad at all.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This IS a journalism job. Comparing it to some other field is comparing apples to oranges. Why not compare it to other jobs in its own field?

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not to mention your hotels are essentially paid for... rental cars if needed... anything you eat while on company time... ya, I'd take a salary like that. 55-60K is pretty damn good for these days.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Exactly. Meanwhile, the rest of us drive our bucket of bolts to the stadium, eat from the concession stands and file from our cars while some janitor turns out the lights in the fieldhouse and make less than half that. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Draft saved Draft deleted