1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packer fan car salesman at Chicago dealer won't remove Packer tie; gets fired.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IllMil, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Right down to the colour and/or design of your tie? Uh, no. Not unless it's vulgar or obscene or indecent in some way.

And I don't care how much of a Bears fanboi somebody is, there's nothing about a Packers logo that is vulgar or obscene or indecent.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Context matters. Wearing that tie in that town on that day is intentionally provocative.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Except that the firing ended up creating a firestorm of publicity, got one of the dealership's best salesmen a job at a competitor, and showed that the management of a car dealership -- never among the most trusted -- are heartless douchebags (though I'm sure there are some Bears fans who will buy from there just because of it). I live near this dealership, and I can tell you people didn't have warm fuzzies about it before the incident. Now they're getting killed online, and forever, when people search for a car in the area, they're going to see that Webb Chevy was the numbnuts that fired a guy over a tie.

Just because you legally CAN fire someone for something as seemingly minor as a Packers tie doesn't mean you should. Perhaps the guy doing the firing should have sat the salesman at his desk, and told him he needed a minute to talk to his manager first.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes it was. A man was fired because the manager didn't like the color combo of his necktie. End of story.

5. RickStain

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Post of the year material, right here.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Simply unreasonable directions.

What's next? I don't like the way you've laced up your shoes - relace them or you're fired. I don't like that you've parted your hair on the left - part it on the right or you're fired.

8. RickStain

Why not? If the boss thinks he has a good reason for wanting you to part your hair a certain way, that's his call.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't written in a handbook, good luck enforcing it

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was an intern, one of the assistant sports editors asked me to get him coffee every day.

Every day, someone else would tell me I didn't have to get him coffee.

I did it anyway.

Sometimes when you're asked to do something, you just do it and don't ask questions and fair has nothing to do with it.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Apples and oranges. This salesman wasn't an intern.

If you were a full-time staffer and an ASE still asked you to get him a coffee every day, would you? Out of a sense of obligation, I mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted