1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packer fan car salesman at Chicago dealer won't remove Packer tie; gets fired.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IllMil, Jan 25, 2011.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/s1940987.shtml

Seems if the boss told me take the tie off, I would do it. But firing him seems equally stupid.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You don't wear something to work designed to taunt every customer and potential buyer that comes in that day. It was perfectly reasonable for the boss to order it removed. When the guy refused, well....

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the guy probably meant it as a funny conversation starter. Most grown-ups buying a car realize that people have different sports loyalties, particularly when the two teams share a state border near the city.

The story I read said that he thought his boss was joking when he told him to take it off or he was going to be fired.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Story said he was given five chances to take it off.

First time is "Oh, I thought you were kidding." Beyond that is insubordination.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely agree. At some point, it became a stupid pissing match that he had to win.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Now there's a stupid reason to get yourself fired. Although, if he wants to move to Green Bay he can probably leverage the situation.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

"What can we do to get you in this 1991 Ford Taurus..today?"

Absolutely justified.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Maybe he can get a job at the bandwagon dealership

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Any adult wearing any type of team gear -- tie, cap, anything -- to work is a moron to start with. If the boss says take it off, take it off.
    Grow the fuck up, people.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But if my boss was a Bears fan and I wore a Packers tie and he said to take it off, I could just as easily say I meet the dress code. HR would have to deal with it there. He wouldn't be able to fire me.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Five times? He deserved to get canned.

Draft saved Draft deleted