1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pac Man caught on camera punching stripper and biting bouncer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Feb 21, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Find Jesus, Pacman, find Jesus

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jemele... I disagree.

If you want the fat, old white guys to keep showing up with the REAL money, none of that shit is happening.

I don't think shootings are common in strip clubs at all.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

What happened to my post?

4. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to generalize. But I suppose I say some of this without knowing if the Pacman incident was at a higher or lower end strip club. But it's not like it's surprising/uncommon that there was a shooting incident at a Vegas strip club.

I enjoyed Jason's AOL column quite a bit, but I'm not sure who's responsibility it is to clean things up. Or if it's fair to blame the NBA when they can't exactly control who frequents their events. Rappers always have/always will be drawn to the All-Star game as long as ballers want to be rappers and the reverse. But what are you gonna do? Ban rappers?

I personally blame the "lawlessness," if you will, on the rep of the city, not the NBA. If Vegas did not have the rep for letting things go unchecked -- i.e., what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas -- I am sure it would have drawn a different crowd. Or at least, things would haven't been as bad. But in Vegas, you can drink FOR FREE, 24 hours a day. Mix that factoid in with the large crowds expected for this game and you were bound to have trouble.

I'm torn because I balance what Jason said with the fact there is this perception that black people can't get together in large groups without some sort of incident. But I also realize that's a stereotype that is sometimes earned, but one also looked for. Having been to Freaknik and Cancun, there isn't much difference. I'm sure just as many rapes and debauchery happened at both places, but Freaknik always was castigated.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think you can blame the city any more than you can blame the skin color of the people involved in the incidents. Bad people of any skin tone will get into trouble whether they're in Vegas or Salt Lake City.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He had just eaten a power pellet and got a little excited.

7. Chris_Dankberg

Chris_Dankberg New Member

The lack of coverage from ESPN is definitely concerning. I think Jemele's got a pretty good point. Vegas has been out of control before. The difference, in my view, is strictly the type of coverage that was available, on DeadSpin, AOL, and and the other sites. And then you've got several high-profile writers discussing the scene, without comparable coverage in other outlets. That, as much as anything else could, is going to raise antennae. It also seemed worth noting, and I'd be curious to hear Jason's thoughts on this, why his AOL piece was so much more insightful than the article printed in the Star.

8. Jemele

NBA All-Star Weekend has been on the path to Freaknik status for several years, really ever since Atlanta shut down Freaknik...... There's a major difference from looking to go get drunk and party to looking to go get drunk while also looking for trouble (violence, looting), the things that shut down Freaknik, the things that have been happening at All-Star Weekends.

Vegas was the Perfect Storm. But the storm was brewing in Atlanta, Houston and all the stops in between for the last six or seven years. No one wrote about it. Everybody ignored it. You can't put this on Vegas. It's a weak excuse. Unless you believe Atlanta created the problems that ruined Freaknik.

New Orleans will be a war zone.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Chocolate City will tell those assholes to go home, or feed them to the gators.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Personally I think this is more a problem for the NFL that one of its young exciting stars should be spending the next several years behind bars and that this incident just underlines the problem the NFL has at controlling its own.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Simmons' column (*ducking*) touches on this pretty well. He didn't see a cop the whole weekend. He obviously makes a lot of jokes about it, but that does seem like a pretty serious issue, especially if Vegas hopes to lure an NBA team.

12. Because writing for the newspaper and writing for the Internet are two different disciplines. I was trying to accomplish two different things. There are always several angles to every story. I went with two different angles. But if you take away the headline that was placed on my KC Star column (I didn't write it), you can easily see the elements that the AOL column were built on. The column that I write for AOL is labeled "Real Talk" and the expectation is you're going to get the truth in the raw. I gave you that truth in the KC Star column but it was hidden beneath some humor and a story about me and my boys.

Draft saved Draft deleted