1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pac 12 Officials Coordinator Investigated for "Targeting" Arizona Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21989633

Pac 12 coordinator of officials and former NBA ref Ed Rush has been cleared of offering cash or a trip to Cancun to any official who T'd up Sean Miller during the Pac 12 tourney.

The conference doesn't deny he said it but says he was only kidding.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There are about 200 coaches in D-I who ought to be teed up anywhere from two to about 25 times per game.

For instance, any time a coach is standing on the playing court during a live-ball situation, it should be an instant technical. As in, "you're on the court, bang-zoom-technical."

Sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wow, possible problems with Pac-12 officiating? Who knew?

To paraphrase former head of football officials/chief apologist for incompetence Verle Sorgen after replay confirmed another horrible missed call, "It's only egregious if you're an Arizona fan."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You sure The Cartel is not behind it?

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Call it the Pitino Rule. Sometimes he's six feet onto the court. Marching around, too.

Bang-zoom-T.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

huddle with BP. he has peeps on the street.

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Cancun trips? Nah, this isn't anything that lacks integrity.

8. Starman

It's not hard. At all.

I coached basketball for 10 seasons. I stood up in front of the bench. I yelled waved my arms at the players. I yelled at the refs and sometimes I got technicals (although less and less as the years went on and I figured out that continually bitching at the refs mainly pissed them off and made them even more intent upon screwing you whenever possible).

But I never ever once set a foot on the court during actual game play. Not once.

It isn't that hard. Get the fuck off the court.

Or Bang Zoom Technical.

No warnings. Bang Zoom Technical.

And oh yes, after BZT, you utter one single word other than, "oh shit, I'm a fuckin' idiot, I'll keep my feet off the fuckin' court," it's Bang Zoom Technical Two and you can go sit in the locker room.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The issue is not that players hoped to be rewarded. We all agree the rhetoric was hyperbole. It's the fear of reprisal for failing to do anything. The super is in charge of assignments for future games. Officials know this.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

+1, Starman.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There was a point during the Louisville-Duke game where I thought if the Duke player had dribbled two steps to his left, he would have run into Pitino and forced the refs to call the T. I won't be surprised when we see someone do that at some future point.

12. Starman

Well, K does it too. Izzo is probably the worst offender.

I am surprised teams playing one of these teams don't tell their players, if they are on the side of the court closest to these guys' benches, and you see them out on the court, to make a 90-degree turn at full speed and RUN RIGHT INTO THEM.

Pick up two easy points.

Draft saved Draft deleted