1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pac-10 suspends Uo-OU officials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Had to reply to this, too. You're an idiot, Ed. I'm proud I got my degree from OU. The academic side of the university deserves a hell of a lot more respect than it gets. Some of the coaches and players have been idiots lately, but what university hasn't had that at some point. I'll hang my hat on the education I got, which I'd argue compares favorably with almost any public university across the nation. No reason to be embarrased to hang an OU sheepskin on the wall.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That's exactly why you should want your president to STFU and let the people he hired to do the job bitch about what happens on the field and perhaps make public statements about more important things, like demanding better grad rates from the money sports.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The irony is, the second- or third-biggest booster of Oregon athletics (behind Nike) is Chambers Communications, which owns television stations in Eugene and several other cities. It runs the JumboTron feed, and in-stadium replays are available from numerous angles.

Autzen Stadium might be the most-wired stadium in the Pac-10, and it has one of the largest and sharpest in-stadium replay screens in the Pac-10, surpassed only by the supurb screen at Husky Stadium.

TV had numerous angles of this play, immediately available. Conspiracy theorists, have at it.

4. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Not sure if you guys have seen it, but we linked up to a strong piece by Canzano in Portland today. He talked to the replay booth guy .. who barely had a look at the replay.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye.

6. Are you saying the replay official just rubber-stamped the call, or was he unable to get a good look? Link available?

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Just read it. That was a good piece. Seems to be a bit of an indictment of the system, with TV and the onfield official rushing the replay guy before he could get a better angle, and it taking too long to get him a shot with a better view when they were replaying it on TV seconds after the play.

Here's the link to the column for those who want to read it.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Hey, the grad rates are frustrating to me (even though I gave basketball a pass for a couple of years because of transfers and such), but Boren had to put something out to make the donors happy. All college presidents are, at any institution, is fund raisers. At least, that's their primary function in a lot of ways. Right or wrong, a lot of donors started giving cash to the rest of the school because of football. Boren just wanted to send them a message.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I understand that element, but having dealt with my share of college presidents, their greatest attribute should be a certain dignity and (with that) an ability to keep their university above the general public's usually out-of-whack reaction to big-time college sports. I guess it's kind of like the POTUS. I don't want my president being "just folks," I want him to be the smartest guy in the room. Same with a university president. OK, gotta make a statement to show you care ... find a way to run into a reporter and say, "man, that was an awful call ... you can quote me on that" and then go back to doing more important stuff like, you know, making sure the state's flagship university is excelling places other than in those areas covered by ESPN. I just find an actual request to have history annulled and to have game officials suspended for a year sounds an awful lot like the douchebags that call into most radio shows ... and I don't want my president sounding like a douchebag, though I suppose when you hire a former senator you know what you are getting.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Oklahoma: We want to build a university our football team can be proud of.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

NCAA rules do not allow that.
    According to the rules, the team with the greater number of points at the end of the game is the winner. Once the game's over, it's over.
    In his book Anatomy of a Game, Dave Nelson the late Delaware coach and member of the NCAA rules committee touched upon this, saying when Cornell forfeited to Dartmouth, it violated that rule.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Very intresting column and it gives further reason to hate ESPN/ABC for hurrying the refs. I can just imagine a producer up near the replay booth at Autzen saying, "you have to make the call, we need to get our commercials in. Or, if you don't want to make for another 3:30 that is OK too. But it has to be one or the other. Either make the call or wait awhile."

Draft saved Draft deleted