1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pac-10 suspends Uo-OU officials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fair nuff; I shouldn't have had that 15th cup of coffee.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If we're going to go back and rectify bad calls off onside kicks, can we go back to last year's WVU-Louisville game? The refs in that game let WVU take possession after an illegal onsides kick. That bad call led to WVU's miracle comeback.

It also cost Louisville a BCS berth, millions of dollars in bowl revenue and God knows how many five-star, can't-miss recruits.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And now the replay official is reporting a death threat and wonders whether to continue with his job ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2593870

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey, at least something happened to these officials. Far too often in baseball and a lot of times in the NFL, calls are F'd up and the officials get away scot-free that made them.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Officials should be reprimanded and, in some instances, benched for screwing up. A coach wouldn't have second thoughts of doing it to a player who cost the team a game.

That said, all this talk about expunging the game from the books is utter nonsense. Nobody wants to set that precedent.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Actually, he went so far as to write a letter suggesting the game be erased from recorded history and that the officials be suspended for the year. For a man whose basketball program has been in deep shit and whose football program has recently found the same, this strikes me as a stunning lack of perspective, not just as a president who was asked a question and answered it.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Oklahoma doesn't come close to getting the whole picture and never will -- I'd be embarrassed if an Editude were to get a degree in Norman -- but the Sooners were hosed. A suspension of the officiating crew does seem reasonable, but disallowing the result of the game? Get in line and stop hiring coaches who dance around the rules.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oregon considered forfeiting the game, but decided against it because, "the field was lousy."

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The normal pracitce with home-and-home non-coference series like this one is for the visiting team's conference to supply the officials. A Big 10 crew worked the Texas-OSU game in Austin and a Big 12 crew did last year's game in Columbus.

Then there is the Pac-10.

The Pac-10 does not allow its officials to work non-conference road games. it also does not allow visiting out-of-conference teams to supply officials from their conferences when they play at a Pac-10 school. That's why a Pac-10 crew was working this game and a Big 12 crew did last year's game in Norman.

The Pac-10 is the only I-A conference that does this.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Here's what baffles me -- in the story about the death threats, the replay official claims the equipment doesn't allow him to freeze a frame. What the hell? It doesn't have a pause button? Virtually every crappy VCR since 1994 has had some sort of frame-by-frame ability, and I've never seen a DVD player without it. And yet the Pac-10 gives its refs equipment that isn't as good as most of the stuff we've all got hooked up in our living room. I'm calling bullcrap on this one.

And OU got hosed. If the Sooners end up with one loss (unlikely the way their defense has played), then they have a right to complain. Any undefeated OU team, even this one, would be in the national title picture. If this keeps them out of it, then they deserve to bitch a little. (Of course, after they give up 5,000 rushing yards to Texas, that point will be moot.)

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think they're going to lose to Texas.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Oh, and Boren had to send out something like he did. Appeases the donors. He knows none of that is going to happen. I agree the refs should've gotten more than one game, but not a season (except the replay guy should never be doing that again). Maybe three games. The rest was just trying to make the money people happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted