1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

P_G's Bob Smizik says goodbye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Good thing Mark Madden's still writing there.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How many old white guys does that leave the Pittsburgh sports media with? Let's see -- Savran, Collier, Junker, Meyer, Bouchette, Cook. Who am I missing?

3. TSP - If you haven't heard, former Steelers defensive back Mike Logan is working for ESPN 1250 AM in the 3-7 pm time slot with Eddie Crowe and Scott Paulsen. Crowe and Paulsen are the typical Pittsburgh guys but at least someone finally hired a minority to provide sports coverage, even if it is a former Steelers player that has family connections in the local media.

Local media in Pittsburgh need more hard working writers like Dejan Kovacevic. The man does great things writing in his normal space for the Pirates and also a blog. The downside though with the move is the economy and struggling newspaper business means a young minority man or woman won't get a shot to replace the bitter Smizik.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What were the "other assignments" that allowed him to miss four wins by the hometown team in the Super Bowl? This is mid-January; what in the hell else is going on in Pittsburgh?

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't think Junker is that old.

6. Trifecta - He was probably covering the PITT basketball team.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Notice he didn't thank anybody from the modern era at his paper. Good for him. I'm sure it's a hellhole like everywhere else in terms of thinking this columnist is easily expendable. This was a great profession. Too bad it was ruined by morons.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

95% of column consists of pre-1985. The guy writes at the top that he's been contemplating retirement. Geez, he's been there 40 years. I highly doubt anyone ruined anything for him.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

From a quick scan of his bio next to that piece: He was on non-Steelers beats when the first four were played, and wasn't promoted to columnist until 1983.

Jerry Micco isn't there anymore? News to me, and probably to Jerry, too.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We get it, Fredrick. Newspapers bad. Move on.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

We always joked that Smizik has never left Pittsburgh, because he was one of the many born, raised and educated in the Burgh. He was an honest, incisive, knowledgeable voice in a city that lives for its sports, particularly the Pirates (kidding). Still a few good writers left there, though, but he'll be impossible to replace.

Draft saved Draft deleted