1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

p90x

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Just did a search for this and was shocked that there wasn't a thread started about this yet. Unless I'm just a dunce and didn't see it (which is altogether a possibility). Anyway, I was thinking about dropping 20 pounds or so, with a pretty heavy emphasis on "or so" And a friend told me to try P90X. Everything I saw online about it basically said it would totally kick your butt. Has anyone tried the program? Is it the regular weight loss/muscle building scam, or is there something to this?

2. It works really well but I suggest start with the regular P90. P90X is for P90 extreme and it's really designed for people looking for a step up from the regular program who already have gone through the first program.

The only problem with it is it's far from a quick workout. It's tough and it's 90 minutes long (hence the 90) so you really go through the rigors. But if you stick to it and do it regularly you will get results.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I just can't get over the idea of "muscle confusion" everyone says it works like a charm, but it's a big joke to me. Maybe I should try it.

4. Muscle confusion is kind of a funny idea. It's not that much different than circuit training. Instead of working out muscle groups each day, you use everything in one workout. I personally believe the biggest reason it works is because you are constantly doing something for 90 minutes with little rest. You're doing muscle work but the cardio is built right into the workout. Best of both worlds.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Never tried it, but everyone I know who has tried it say the results are amazing. The gym at work has a P90X class once or twice a week. People love that shit.

Me? I'm too much of a pussy to try it.

6. I'm in my second go around with it. The program is really good and hard, be prepared to work for it.

I do believe in the muscle confusion approach. For me I could tell a difference pretty quickly and was insanely sore for a few days. I would recommend finding someone who is wanting to seriously work out to join you for the pure motivation to stick with the program. It really does kick your butt and make you want to quit, but if you stick with all the DVDs you'll feel good about yourself.

The DVDs are pretty long, although not always 90 minutes. It got the name P90X due to the fact you're supposed to do it for 90 days (6 days a week with one day of stretching).

If you're unsure how fit you are, I'd start off with the P90 program and then move up to the X. I was short on money and found P90X on Ebay for around $60 so jumped right into it. Expect to spend some money on equipment (have a pull-up bar and push up bars along with some free weights). Also, be sure you have someplace where you can jump around. I live on the second floor of an apartment complex, so I have to do the plyometrics day at the stadium weight room so as not to piss off the people who live below me.

I never believed in any of the "seen on TV" gimmicks, however this one is the real deal. I can't stress enough that it is very difficult to keep with the program for the duration of the first phase, but if you do you'll be well rewarded.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There was some discussion about it on the Take Care of Yourself thread....talk to Boom, he's a complete addict. Helps if you're already an athlete, but you can adapt it to your level of fitness.

'Muscle confusion' is just a trendy way of saying 'shock your body. Nothing new about it...if you challenge your muscle memory in different ways, you're going to get deeper results.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have completed 1 P90 X cycle and have just started a 2nd.

I can say without a doubt that it's the best workout program that I have ever done. It gives you a complete body workout 6 days a week

If you are going to accept the challenge you will need to be in reasonable condition. If you have not trained for a while it's not for you.

It is a major commitment -- 90 days 6 days a week .

The base workout runs about 55 minutes which includes a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. Main workout is a fast paced 45 minutes.

Like any training program if you want to lose weight diet is an important element. Included with kit is a diet book but there is nothing earth shattering about it.

It will take a couple of weeks to get a feel for pace of workout and learn the routines.

Equipment wise ideallly you have dumb bells from 5 lbs to 60 lbs . Bands are an option also and you will also need a chin up bar. Ideally your workout area has TV / DVD set up to view the workout.

If you are not prepared to commit to 6 days a week for 90 days save your money.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I did P90X and it is unbelievable. Started in August and ended in November. Lost 5 pounds, gained about an inch on each arm and lost two inches in my waist. Toned my stomach the best it has been since high school and completely toned my legs and gluts.

I had never done the P90 before, but my regular workout was 30 minutes of cardio, 100 pushups and 100 situps each day.

The first few days were absolute hell. The first day you alternate between pushups and pullups. I don't have a pullup bar so I went between pushups and lat pulls. You also have abs that day and a bunch of lawnmowers and stuff. That workout comes up about 8 times during the 3 month regimen. By the end, that workout was giving me bigger muscle swells than I have ever gotten in my life.

I maxed out at 318 pushups and 359 crunches with about 250 lat pull downs and 150 lawmowers/shoulder flys.

I also had a lot of fun with the plymometrics and the yoga. The yoga was long as shit, but I gained a ton of balance back that I lost a few years ago when I had knee surgery. I also gained a bunch of lean muscle in my quads from all the plyo. Playing basketball is a breeze now and I don't get the burning pain when I run up a few flights of stairs.

Word to the wise, if you are going to try this, wear a heart rate monitor. I didn't have one but probably should have. Also invest in some ice packs. After my first day of plyo I needed to take an ice bath. My muscles still had a lot of trouble recovering.

The same went for my arms. For about the first three weeks, the muscle confusion had my arms tighter than can be. It really is an amazing workouts and you will see the results, especially if you eat right. I certainly didn't, but it was tailgate season...

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Also, after doing P90X I can do one handed pushups for the first time in my life. I can do more than 5 pullups at a time. I can do wall sits for 2 minutes. I can do wall sits for 30-45 seconds on my bad leg. I can decline pushups with one foot on a chair and two hands on dumbells.

Some of the things I can do now are really cool.

11. Thanks, Gang. This was what I was looking for.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I have four friends who went through the P90X program together. Three were pretty badly overweight. One was a former college baseball player. Kicked all their butts. But one of my friends dropped 30 pounds, the other two 25 or so. It's a good program but it's best if you can find someone to work out with to keep yourself going. It's tough doing that kind of stuff alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted