1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

P.J. to coach Sonics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Conan O'Brien's computer geniuses would have a field day with that one.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Where is Lewis going? I thought the point of trading Allen was to re-sign Lewis.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Lewis agreed to deal with Magic

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Holy shit! I guess that is what I get for not reading the wire tonight. Damn, that is a good pickup for Orlando.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Lewis and Durant play the same position. Lewis was basically gone the second Durant got drafted.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, will the Sonics spend any of their saved money or will they keep it until they move to Oklahoma City next year?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Problem with that line of thinking is that P.J. also had a chance in Portland, albeit with an aging Drexler and supporting cast, once Adelman left.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And made the playoffs three straight years with a mediocre team...which is why they lost in the first round all three years.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Carlisemo's final year in Portland was when the team started assembling the Jail Blazers in earnest, acquiring the sterling citizens Isiaiah/J.R. Rider and Rasheed Wallace, no doubt conditioning Carlisemo in advance for coaching Spree a year later when he went to Golden State.

The primary exhibit, along with Isiah's Knicks, on my guiding policy on the wisdom of packing your roster with screw-loose head cases.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In the summer of 1992, I was editor-in-chief of the student newspaper at the University of Western Ontario.

Canada's national basketball team went on a brief tour prior to the Olympic qualifying tournament. One of those games was against Mexico, at our school. I'm sitting there, watching the game, when Carlesimo walked in and sat by himself in the crowd. An assistant on the U.S. team, he was there to scout.

I nervously walked up to him and asked for an interview. The guy talked to me for 30 minutes. I couldn't possibly use everything he said. But he treated me like a big-timer, not some schmuck from a student newspaper.

Always rooted for him as a result. Hope he does well in Seattle.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'd like to take credit for being in H.S. at the time and stating aloud to a bunch of friends after PJ first left Seton Hall for the NBA that I forsaw trouble on the horizon for him because of his attitude.

I never saw a college coach berate his kids the way PJ did at Seton Hall. I thought to myself "If he tries to pull that off in the pros, he's going to get hurt."

Boy was I right.

Hopefully, the ring around his neck has softened him.

Draft saved Draft deleted