1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ozzie has a Lee Elia Moment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 5, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They were in a war a few years ago?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Watching the punchless Twins blow past him in the standings was apparently more than Ozzie could bear.

3. forever_town

France.

4. rascalface

rascalface Member

You forgot Poland.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yes. They defeated Texas, which didn't put up much of a fight.

[​IMG]

6. forever_town

Poland doesn't have delusions of grandeur like France does. Or like the Cubbies do.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I would have voted for the Hip too.

And that was a great line.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

France has won several wars since 1908. The Cubs are like Italy. Or maybe Spain.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Why does a newspaper print the word "bleep," which is something used in television and radio?

Dashes would be just fine for the mother----ers.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But if you type mother----ers doesn't the reader read it as motherfuckers anyway?
    So why not say it?
    I remember the Pam Shriver/Tracy Austin snit years ago when Shriver said Bleep you, you piece of bleep.

One of the tennis pros in the area called and asked why didn't we just say Fuck you, you piece of shit?

Do the bleeps make it better?

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

didn't see this in the story, but ESPN radio update guy said Guillen referenced the anniversary of Elia's rant, and wanted to cash in on the anniversary of one of his own rants.

If that's true, then all of this is self-serving bull(bleep). Rants are epic for two reasons: spontaniety and memorable lines/actions.

Lines/actions include: Quit asking all those stupid ass questions/Put THAT in your fucking pipe and smoke it (McRae).... Kiss my ass right downtown and PRINT IT! (Elia); taking first base with you (McClendon); Diddly poo and PLAYOFFS!?! (Mora)... but more than that, they seemingly came from nowhere, from innocuous questions or routine plays in regular season games.

This? Smacks of opportunism from a dude who'd probably rant over a blown call in a video game (um, kinda like me). But "We're the bitch of Chicago" will certainly live forever.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Bleeps do not make it better.

Draft saved Draft deleted