1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ozzie Guillen to Florida, managing last game with White Sox tonight.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they just released him.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They can't rebuild. There are three huge long-term contracts on the books that no team will take. Dunn, Rios, and Peavy. That said, they'll probably trade Danks or Floyd and, sadly, let Buehrle walk. But those other three need to produce.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Time for him to run his vulvic mouth elsewhere.

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

not to threadjack, but in 1960, two managers were traded for each other ... Jimmy Dykes from Detroit to Cleveland for Joe Gordon ...

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I don't have much of an interest in Jack McKeon :D.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ozzie is certainly entertaining, and he's White Sox through and through, but the act had grown tired. It'll be cool to have a grown-up in charge. I heard Jon Heyman from SI on the radio this morning and he did not sound like a huge Guillen fan. He called him an "entertainer, not a manager," or something like that. He doesn't think there's any way he manages out his contract in Florida. He thinks it's a terrible fit, considering how sensitive they are there to people who go off the reservation (Girardi, Logan Morrison, etc., etc.).

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Florida has empty seats who won't come to its games.
    2. Guillen is crazy.
    3. Fans love crazy managers.
    4. Guillen is the manager of the Marlins.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: I like Heyman, but he has the classic baseball writer attitude that the game is one of the world's major religions instead of, you know, a popular form of entertainment.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oz was one of the ultimate lightning rods, and served that role, well . . . meanwhile, Heyman figures to be essentially right about the rest of it . . .

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That would be a good way to make sure he never comes within 100 yards of the Marlins locker room. :D

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Stay classy, Kenny Williams.

http://www.suntimes.com/7907602-417/white-sox-fire-interim-manager-joey-cora-by-text.html

Draft saved Draft deleted