1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ozzie Guillen to Florida, managing last game with White Sox tonight.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Figured it needed its own thread.

http://www.suntimes.com/7895136-417/ozzie-guillen-out-managing-last-white-sox-game-tonight.html

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Does this mean Ozzie won't be eligible for the postseason roster with the Marlins?

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This is pretty bittersweet for me. I love Ozzie and will certainly miss the entertainment, but the team ('08 being an exception) has been pretty bad since winning 90 games in '06.

I'll definitely miss him, but I can't get too angry about it.

4. JakeandElwood

And I'm going to the game tomorrow, why couldn't they have made that his last one? Could've seen Ozzie and Buehrle's last game with the Sox.

5. JakeandElwood

Apologies for going all skip to my lou on this thread, but I'll be very interested to see what they got for him. When is the last time a manager got traded?

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sums it up for me, as well.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bob Lemon to the Yankees in 1978 maybe?

(Pete Rose was traded to the Reds in 1984 and became player/manager, but he was not manager with the Expos before the trade).

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was one entertaining story.

Should be fun to see how long Ozzie lasts w/those assholes running the show in Miami. Be careful what you wish for, etc etc.

9. JakeandElwood

You know, it really was. But I didn't even notice, I just nodded my way through it. That stuff has gotten to be routine over the years. I'll miss that.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It was time. His act had worn thin. I imagine the ranting and raving fell on deaf ears with the team struggling to reach .500 the last few years.

Probably a great marketing move for the Fish.

11. JakeandElwood

Yeah, I agree with all that. And with Kenny Williams' inability to keep his mouth shut, I'm sure there will be at least one war of words between the two of them during the offseason.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If one of them had to go -- and one of them had to -- I wish it were Kenny Williams. Though I guess because he's more of a Reinsdorfian arrogant asshole than Guillen ever could be.

Draft saved Draft deleted