1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OZY Media Sports Editor-Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Nick4iezos, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Nick4iezos

Nick4iezos New Member

Hey y'all,

OZY.com is looking for a sports editor/reporter -- the role manages our sports section, The Huddle, which includes editing pieces, working with staffers and freelancers, etc, and includes occasional writing (last editor wrote about 2 stories per week). Preferred location is our office in Mountain View, California, but the role has also been filled by someone in our New York office in the past. Competitive salaries, great benefits, all that jazz.

You can read more about the position here.

In case you don't know OZY, we're a 5-year-old startup based in Silicon Valley, founded by Carlos Watson and Samir Rao. We reach more than 50 million people per month now through our website, TV shows, podcasts and events (including the annual OZY Fest in NYC).

I've been there for 3.5 years of it as our one-man D.C. bureau covering politics, elections, etc. Having worked in newspapers in the past (Baltimore Sun, Atlanta Journal-Constitution), I can say it's a great environment -- lots of really smart, creative people. Definitely has a start-up vibe in terms of the work demands, so you've gotta be a self-starter willing to keep up with the pace. But given it's a magazine, it is refreshing not being caught in the daily deadline grind, and most of what we publish is bigger-picture, rather than "who said what, today" sort of coverage. It's the kind of place where you can pitch a big project and get it approved in mere days or weeks, rather than months upon months...very little red tape. Of course, that also means we move fast, and sometimes some of the tasks can feel herculean.

You can apply to the position on that link above. If you do, do me a favor and mention you heard about it from Nick Fouriezos (I get a referral bonus if they end up hiring you). I'm also happy to answer any questions you all might have: you can comment below, or email me directly at nick@ozy.com.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like a job for QYFW.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

How long does a business need to be around before they drop the 'start-up' ... asking for a friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted