1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 23, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New hotel review site that's hiring journalist for full-time positions:

2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Won't they get suspicious when every review is about a Marriott? ;D
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I dashed off a quick cover letter. Would be a sweet gig for 9 months or so until the company folds.
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ha! They asked for a cover letter, resume AND short writing sample!
  5. YankeeFan

Yeah, I don't see this company lasting.

The current employees are getting to review some pretty sweet places though.
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some oysters last longer than others.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Seems like freelance would make sense for both parties in some cases.

You're covering the Fiesta Bowl, staying at the Camelback Inn. Why not write 1,500 words for Oyster.com while you're there?
  8. YankeeFan

While I agree with you, it looks like they want their readers/customers to get used to the reviewers so that they get a feel for them and trust them.

Each of them has a profile page on the site.

It looks like they're going for a high end customer base, sort of like spa finder or some others.

I just don't think that's a gig enough market to make money as a free website.

I think they'd be better off going in your direction and paying folks who are already on the road to do a review a well. They could build up a large number of reviews that way and attract a bigger audience.

They could still use their staff writers for the ultra posh hotels, resorts, and spas.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good for them, hiring a staff and building their brand that way. Saying they should use freelancers or folks already on the road is the equivalent of us saying there shouldn't be traveling beat writers -- just call some warm body in City X when the home team visits. There are movie and restaurant reviewers I trust enough to put my money behind what they endorse, so why not a hotel reviewer? Alas, I don't see myself vacationing at those ultra-posh joints anytime soon.
  10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Your point is well taken, but there's a huge difference between covering an collection of people 12 months a year and writing a one-time review of a non-living entity.
Draft saved Draft deleted