1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oy. Journalists sentenced to labor camp.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Jun 8, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And a new Taylor Made R9 driver, so he can continue making holes-in-one on par-5s.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And a signed Kobe Bryant jersey.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Here's to their safe return.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Me too. There are some topics that should not be subject of jokes. This is fucking sad. 12 years in labor camp? This is bad shit. Something needs to be done. I hope there is some trade made, but if you were sentenced to 12 years in that ragass country, I'm sure your relatives would be very worried. And so would you.
    My prayers to everybody involved. Let them go!!!!

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

just a tragic situation for those two young women and their families.

hopefully we can work something out and get them back asap.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

North Korea has a history of kidnappings over the years. They've snatched people from the South and even off the streets in Japan. If what Ragu says is true, it's par for the course for them. But what I've read and heard is that the two snuck in the country to film a documentary.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

First of all, they never should have been there to begin with.

But now, I agree that they will be used as political bargaining chips to get some sort of concessions from the U.S. I doubt any real harm will come to them; just the shock of being locked up and bored all day for a while until something is negotiated.

It's ironic (I don't want to use the word "funny") how the US likes to take the moral high ground on these things when the US incarcerates more people than anyone in the world except China.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

journalists are sent to labor camps every day, right here in the U.S.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

well played

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why should journalists be treated differently than anyone else? Besides, it would make for a hell of a book, wouldn't it?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, as mentioned higher in the thread, there's some doubt as to whether they were there at all.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-onthemedia10-2009jun10,0,964794.column

Draft saved Draft deleted