1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Owning a women's football team and or semi pro men's team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsnut, Feb 17, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They said, "hey, baby. Take a walk on the wild side."

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Hey say everyone needs to learn from experience and I have no problem learning from a semi pro team and I do think they let you experience some front office and management that you can not learn from a High School and College football program.

I would say go with Semi Pro and then move to either Arena or maybe even the UFL before you even try to go for an NFL gig. But, I may be wrong and you should just jump straight to trying to get an NFL or other pro sports league.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And this thread seems to be a waste of time because it seems he's got his mind made up, regardless of what others say.

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

This is going to get me in so much s---, but

If I had the disposable income to fork over $50,000 a year to run a semi-pro or women's team, I'd do it.

You're providing an opportunity for players and some staff to gain experience and to do it right, not like 80 percent of the present set-up.

I helped out with a women's team one year with stats. The quality of play was JV level, but it was fun. The players were making a sincere effort to learn how to play the game and appreciated my help. As the great Colbert and Elvis Costello said ``There are worse things to believe in.''

And there were some actually good storylines -- A former Silver Bullets baseball player who got into a brawl with a men's team ... a former Australian rugby player who hated being labeled as a dirty player because she was still learning the rules and didn't know who LT was ... a detective who made a major coke bust on the same day as a game ... and a 70-year grandmother defensive back who went on to appear on Best Damn Sports Show.

The QB was hot, but so was her girlfriend.

And never underestimate being able to make lesbian jokes with lesbians. When I told them I wanted to own the Anchorage franchise and call it the Alaska Klondikes, everyone laughed.

Okay, skewer me. I don't care.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I've seen this first hand with the indoor football team I covered.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you want to make money off of semi-pro sports, set up a league, convince people that it's a legit investment and charge franchise fees in every town.

It's working for what they call the ABA these days.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I believe I've told the story of the $10K-and-you're-in ABA basketball team that set up shop in my hometown earlier in the decade. We did an initial story on the new owners for the paper, then everything went downhill from there. They sent us a message asking if we knew where cheap office space could be leased in town, then tried to get us to write another article to say they were soliciting funds and donations, then they asked one of our sports writers if she wanted to try out for the dance team.

It was a debacle from the word go.

8. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Sounds like everyone have a different story of how bad this is from all angles. I see where a lot of the comments are against the idea and a few that are for it and I understand that it is a waist of time to be part of this from any angle.

To change it a little what about the leagues like working with the Indoor Football League, North American Football League or just forget them all and do something with an AFL or even AF2 team instead?

I know the NAFL is still Semi Pro or Amateur but would that be worth it? Also, what are your opinion on the UFL?

Again thanks for all the comments that have brought light to a pretty dark area.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's all bad alphabet soup to me except maybe the AFL, and its future is very, very shaky.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

What exactly is semi-pro? Either you're a pro or an amateur. No in between.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A horrible movie with Will Ferrell.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Semi-pro means you get paid, but you're not full-time.

Draft saved Draft deleted