1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Owning a women's football team and or semi pro men's team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsnut, Feb 17, 2009.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

So, what is your opinion on the expansion of women's semi pro football team and is it worth investing in a women's team or semi pro men's teams if owning or running a team is your goal in life?

What team's are actually successful and is it financially beneficial to an investor? I am asking because I have the opportunity to buy into both a men and women's team.

2. jps

jps Active Member

um ... yeah. listen to buck. please.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you invest in that, you're a damned fool.

Hell, send your money to me. You can own my rec league adult soccer team. You'll get the same ROI.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

By all means, go ahead and spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment and insurance, then sit back and count the money when only the players' immediate family members show up for the games.

Seriously, it's been proven dozens of times in this country — people won't pay to watch bad football if there's no previous emotional connection (i.e., someone you know plays for the team or you went to school there).

Stay away.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The women's team in my neck of the woods features some ladies who used to be men.

That's real fair if you ask me.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I live in a city that leads a statewide league in attendance for semi-pro football. At most, 300 people show up.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I wanted to thank you all for the comments in regards to this issue. How about making it a training ground for possible management experience? Let's say you want to me a GM or director of football operations as a job? Would this be taken as a good thing to have on your resume or not important at all?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think you might be on the right track there. Although you might be able to go a different route. H.S. athletic director, minor league baseball etc. More stable.

9. Inky_Wretch

If your goal is one of those jobs, then go get a job with an NFL team.

Being the assistant game tape editor for the Lions will help you reach that goal better than being the GM/owner of those bush league teams.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

The thing is don't you have to start working with one of them before you can move up. High School and even Junior College positions are at times hard to get.

So, start with a bush league team and then learn the bad and the good and then kick ass somewhere else. I would do something with an Arena team but they are not alive and the UFL is currently not looking for anyone.

11. Inky_Wretch

Yes, you do. So do it.

Be the assistant to the assistant jock washer. Be the guy who burns game tape onto DVDs.

You putting "Owner - Las Vegas Showgirlz, WPFL" or "GM - Vermont Ice Storm, Empire Football League" won't help your career as much as being the guy who repaints helmets on Mondays.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Oddly, one of the name-brand newspaper brokers is now brokering sales of minor sports franchises. Listings here:

http://www.mediamergers.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=properties

Draft saved Draft deleted