1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overweight? Maybe Your Genes Really Are at Fault

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 18, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to think of this article. They quote four people, and not one is a woman.

I hope it doesn't end up on the front page.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No kidding. Women are 3.4 times more likely to be worried about their weight, too.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have no doubt that genetics play a role.... as they do in so many things. So I suspect it's a combination of genetics and behavior. I gave up on both some time ago and decide to embrace whoever I am, regardless of the number on the scales. Much happier.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Quote from a woman. I am "this" big around ('this' being tiny). And then ... WHOA! I gained 40 pounds. Took me forever to lose 20 of those pounds.

Yes, genetics plays a HUGE part in this. I eat (mostly) what I want. I don't exercise.

I changed things after turning 45, but still. Yes. Genetics.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Me. too.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I have no doubt genetics play a role, but I'm not inclined to believe that they are solely responsible for obesity. I'd think diet and lifestyle are larger factors that are made worse by the presence of this genetic predisposition.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am happier with who I am when I'm a lean, mean, ass-kicking machine.

I've said this on here many times. I was a chubby kid my whole life. Chubby young adult, as well. I could have been the poster child for blaming it all on genetics. At one point, I was 5-foot-9, 215. I think I was 26 or 27 years old at the time. Today I'm 36 and weigh in the 145-150 range.

Obviously genetics play a role.

You should rage against them anyway.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agree with Dick. Genetics also says some people's hearts shouldn't last past 60. Doesn't mean you plan your funeral.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

11. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Who cares about this topic when discussion doesn't take into account the full range of genetic predispositions?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Actually planning your funeral is pretty damn smart. Can save thousands of dollars, as I learned when I had to do one for a family member on short notice. I'm getting pre-need funeral arrangements done for self and rest of the family before the year is out.

It's one of the few things in this world you KNOW you will use sooner or later.

Draft saved Draft deleted