1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overtime pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wander_mutt, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I worked six days last week, including July 3-4. Yes, I worked overtime. No, I did not get paid for it.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Commutes don't count. Why do you live an hour away?
    Regardless of your answer, it's still your own decision.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless you're a manager, why?

Why work for free?

FileNotFound and donjulio15 like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The 70-hour weeks that I had put in during the time I was a one-man shop usually were around high school playoff time.

The big killer was driving to and from the events, because I was in a remote area. 2-4 hours round trip, and I had been told by the bosses, which I later found out was erroneous, that drive time didn't count as time worked because I got mileage. But I didn't find out that was false until my next gig. So I would get paid for 58 hours instead of 70.

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Sometimes I feel like it comes down to management doing a poor job of managing a staff's hours, whoever that person is at your shop. Just because there are three people on staff to cover games does not mean three games have to be covered every night. Rotate, give one person a feature idea one week rather than covering games. Not only can that help with managing hours, but it also can mean one less thing that has to be crammed into the paper right at deadline.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it takes as long -- or longer -- to write a feature story as it would to cover a game?

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

It's expected when things break with the teams I cover, NHL and NBA.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You should expect pay for that.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because I married a woman who lived an hour from where I worked and she had a house that's close to her work that's cheaper than living in my work town would be.
    And I wasn't complaining about the commute. I've been able to work from home some, and I use it to my advantage by covering games over here when our local teams play here. It was my choice, and I don't regret it.
    I also know it doesn't count toward the work week. Just saying, there's a lot of hidden hours that don't go on the time card but add to the exhaustion. Besides the commute, I'd often get an hour or two break and then have to start taking call-ins at home around 9 p.m. and writing them up before bed. Maybe I get a dinner break from 7 to 9, but it's hardly a restful time.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. And you have enough in your argument to leave the commute unmentioned.

donjulio15 likes this.
  11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Wasn't meaning it as a 1-for-1 swap

12. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

I was in charge of a two-man staff, but we had to let the guy go — he was just lacking in ability. By doing so, I wound up getting the JailHouse shaft.
    It was up to me to handle all the sports, while the news side had two full-time reporters (2 x 40 hrs.) and a P-T news clerk (30 hrs.) , plus the ME's salaried spot - so about 150 man-hours to get the news side covered/with pagination.
    Wound up covering everything in 50-55 hrs. per week (pagination included, of course), then told by our ME to "zero out" OT. JailHouse, as is typical, had written the sports writer's desk off the books when we couldn't find anyone after a while. Therefore, my argument of doing two people's jobs by using up one man's work week and roughly 15-20 hours of the second fell on deaf ears.
    Fuck GateHouse, I say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.