1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overstock.com (and recommendations for shades and blinds)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK, I am probably late to the party on this one so don't laugh. Some of you remember my "furniture" thread. My place is all fixed up and my new furniture is all in here. The place is killer, by the way. Renovated kitchen, bathroom, all new electrical, big-screen TV, decorated nicely, all new furniture, etc. About the only two things missing are shades for the windows (yes, the woman across the courtyard gets the thrill of her lifetime when I don't feel like tossing on shorts or wrapping a towel) and a rug for the living room. The rug wasn't an absolute necessity -- I refinished the hardwood floors and they look great, but I thought it would be a nice touch. The living room is sort of split into areas and I wanted the rug to help divide things up. I did a little rug shopping, and damn are rugs expensive. Then I came across Overstock.com. They have a zillion rugs and the prices are amazing. I was really skeptical, but reading the comments and doing some research convinced me to take a chance. So I found a rug the right size. The picture on the website actually didn't quite look right in terms of the colors, but the comments from people (and everyone was raving about the rug) said the actual rug looked different in color (the colors I was looking for). I found a coupon. Shipping is $2.95, no matter how much you spend. I placed my order late Monday night. I got home just how and my rug was waiting in the lobby for me. I am blown away by this thing. It is beautiful, plush, hand-woven wool, with a solid backing. The craftsmanship looks really good. A rug similar to this, at the places I was looking, would have cost at least 5 times as much. And the rug fits the room perfectly. I am super happy.

Now for shades and blinds. My windows are all kind of odd sizes so I have to go custom. Again, this stuff is not cheap. Any suggestions? For kitchen and bathroom, I need basic blinds. But living room has double windows and bedroom has a single window and I am thinking Roman shades. Can't decide whether to get a curtain rod and mount them over the window or to mount them inside the casing (the casings are deep). Anyone have any advice--obviously you can't see the place to make aesthetic recommendations, but I am open to people's ideas and sensibilities? Also, any places I should consider buying from? I am in NYC -- I checked out Janovic Plaza, which is popular, but custom and super expensive. I've looked at Home Depot and was not blown away by anything. Any other ideas where I can do well and not completely break the bank? Thanks!

Oh, and if you ever need a rug, check out Overstock.com. I am VERY happy right now. This thing was the bargain of the century.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're all about the O, Ragu.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got a pic? Some of us Might want one...

4. The Big Ragu

Pic of what?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ragu, I too bought a rug from Overstock.com. It is fantabulous and cheaper than a similar rug I saw at a store around here.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm guessing the rug, but I could be wrong.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does the rug really tie the room together?

8. The Big Ragu

9. The Big Ragu

Actually, it helps separate the room. You'd understand if you saw the room. Sorry I can't explain better. But it's great because it matches up with the colors of my pictures/walls/moldings, furniture, etc. so well. It is sharp, but not overwhelming. I am very happy with it.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fuckin' A. It really tied the room together, did it not?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure sound like it.

12. The Big Ragu

Dude, not on my thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.