1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overnight Chicago trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 31, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You really could travel to Chicagoland just to eat. And if you have relatives there, they'll load you full of food, too.

I think I gained a pound just reading Fly's description of the Reuben Burger ... :)

Bronco77 and Fly like this.
  2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Worth every damn calorie :)

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Friend of mine was at Kaiser Tiger last night. Sent me a photo of the menu featuring The Bomb. Good Lord, BACON!

And in the review below, pairing a flight of craft beer with a flight of BACON apps, oh my! I might have to revisit Chicago soon and find some SJers too.

There’s a new Chicago beer hall that's making 5lb bacon bombs

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How about this pool:

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Doubtful. But intriguing. Might have to give that a shot. And I realize there's not much difference.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like a pain in the ass if it's strictly a glass bottom lap pool. You have no idea when you're getting close to the wall. Unless there's some kind of markers on the bottom that aren't in the rendering, I foresee a lot of bonked heads and muttered curse words.

7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Will be staying at Willows near Wrigley for two days this summer. Any restaurant/pubs suggestions that is walking distance?

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There's a pizza joint I thought was pretty good at the corner of Addison and Southport.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

On a related note, I'm headed to Chicago for leave in a couple of weeks. We're looking for Chinatown and Little Italy food recommendations. Got most of the trip mapped out. Just need to sew up food in those neighborhoods for the first day.

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Was just in Chicago for a work/pleasure trip and now discovering this thread. For future use, I'll share my experience for critique from however Chicagoans say yinz, yous guys or y'all.
    • Stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in the classic Carbide and Carbon building in the loop (on Michigan Ave.) for five nights. Solid view from the 21st floor facing north.
    • Tuesday - Friday ... in town for a conference, so most of my experience was dinner based:
      • Walked to Lou Malnati's on Wells in River North. While waiting for a table to open up, got a drink nearby at Bottled Blonde. Ended up with ordering thin and deep dish pies. The deep dish won.
      • Ordered a carryout sandwich from Giordano's near Aon Center/Millenium Park.
      • Another dinner at an inauthentic Arizona-based chain Mexican place, El Hefe, in River North. it was tasty enough and the server was a super six brunette with a Chicago accent and attitude to go with. She didn't seem too interested in our request to have the USMNT/T&T match put on a nearby TV.
    • The fun stuff:

Bronco77 likes this.
  11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

In my experience (and others' mileage may vary, of course), Giordano's is fail-safe. Been to locations in the city, near O'Hare and in the far northwestern suburbs, and all were outstanding.

Will be up there in two weeks and most of my time will be spent in the outlying areas visiting relatives, but I do plan to squeeze in a trip to the city. Might be a meet-up with a few old college friends, and we've talked about gathering at Miller's Pub downtown. Don't know what it's like now -- might be a tourist trap like Billy Goat's -- but I do recall going there after a Sox game in the early '80s and seeing a chain-smoking Earl Weaver and most of the Baltimore Orioles coaching staff there.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Chicago: So much good pizza to eat, so little time. Giordano's was always my go-to for deep dish, but if you like thin crust, Home Run Inn is the place. The one near the White Sox stadium (whatever the hell it's called now) has plenty of history to go along with your pizza toppings.

QYFW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted