1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overnight Chicago trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 31, 2016.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Twin Anchors

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

No, it's still a dive ... but a dive whose walls are filled with great examples of Chicago journalism and journalists, including Royko. There's also a fine tribute to former Bears coach Abe Gibron on the walls ... the big man put on quite the eating display at the Goat in the 1970s.

Stopped in with my teenage son last summer, while the ladies wandered Michigan Avenue, and it was well worth it. Just across/under Michigan Avenue from the Tribune Tower.

Burgers are good, but the patties aren't too big, so get at least a double — "triple much better."

3. Lil_Nip

Lil_Nip New Member

Assuming you can squeeze 15 meals into 20 hours:

-Cemitas Puebla (I can only vouch for the Humbolt Park location): Get the al pastor or atomica (the only sandwich in America that's better is the "No. 8" at Paseo in Seattle).

-Papa's Cache Sabroso: Get the jibarito.

-Fat Willy's: Get the baked four cheese macaroni, and the brisket sandwich.

-Pequod's: Get a pan pizza (not "traditional" Chicago deep dish, but it's better), and an appetizer (the pan pizza takes forever).

-Kuma's Corner: Get a metal-band-named burger (hard to name one that tastes bad).

-90 Miles Cuban Café: Get various empanadas, and fried plantains. Add ropa veija, if hungry.

-Saucy Porka: Get various bacos (short rib, pork carnitas, etc.) and chorizo eggrolls.

-Hopleaf; Get beer, and mussels/fries, or duck Reuben.

-Publican Quality Meats: Get the Porchetta (weekends only) or pretty much any sandwich, and dip into the kitchen en route to the bathroom.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Skip Bayless' brother is supposed to be a pretty good chef. And he is not an jerk.

Try Goose Island. It is still brewing its own stuff.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Authentic Chicago beef sandwich!

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Lost its charm when AB-InBev took over but it tastes pretty good.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The brew pub was not part of the sale to InBev. They still brew on site.

The Fulton Street brewery, right outside my window, has added a Tap Room.

Brew Pub: Home - Clybourn

Brewery Tap Room: Goose Island Beer Company

8. YankeeFan

9. YankeeFan

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm making YF my tour guide next time I go to Chicago, even is he has to push a stroller around.

11. YankeeFan

Chicago's a great place to play tourist, even if you live here. Really wide variety of things to do. Great neighborhoods. Lots of creative restaurants.

The lists I posted are a little generic, but they give enough of a description that you should be able to figure out what would appeal to you.

For restaurants, I love Trencherman. You have to be a little bot of a good eater, but it's creative, the menu changes, and they have great cocktails and beers. It's where I always bring guests from out of town.

Girl and the Goat is very good, but hard to get into. But, bar seating is open. Hang at the bar for a bit, and you'll get a seat if it's just a couple of you. The Pig Face is good. It's their signature dish. Sort of a bacon and eggs, breakfast for dinner kind of thing.

All of the Chicago Architecture FOundation tours are excellent. See what they're offering on any given day and check one out. In nice whether, the architecture boat tour is fantastic.

We like to check out some of Chicago's Churches from time to time. The first one on this list is a favorite:

Eleven Churches Not to Miss When You Visit Chicago | Catholic World Report - Global Church news and views

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't anyone going to try to talk N_W out of going to see Wrigley Field in February?

Draft saved Draft deleted