1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

overlooked genius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I will also submit Lupe Fiasco to the mix of being overlooked.

He has been huge in the underground rap scene for a while now, but never really broke mainstream because he never rapped about what the mainstream artists do. He's a conscious rapper and speaks about problems in the ghetto and in general life. He will talk about his youth but then talk about global warming in the same verse. His newest album "The Cool" has finally got him the recognition he deserved.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In honor of today's Oscar buzz, a filmmaker: Sergei Parajanov.

If you ever get the chance to see "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors," please do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Parajanov

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.stephenjaygould.org

Read "Dinosaurs in a Haystack" during a brief illness last winter. It was better than the drugs. Another guy who was way too good for this world.

4. Maxwell Perkins.
    Read Scott Berg's bio. The guy was EVERYBODY'S editor for a while. The account of how he worked The Web And The Rock --the manuscript of which Wolfe sent to him in freaking orange crates -- is astounding.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maxwell Perkins is not overlooked by anyone who knows anything about books or editing.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He is overlooked by a society that is breathlessly anxious to know who's fucking Jennifer Aniston and in which ports of exit/entry.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Maxwell, who?

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The guy in my avatar, Paul Weller.

One of the best songwriters, musically and lyrically, of the past 30 years. He also branched out quite a bit -- the Jam sounded nothing like the Style Council, while his folksy, solo stuff is a complete 180 from something like "My Ever Changing Moods."

It's a shame he never hit it big in America.

9. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Would you people stop mentioning all these books I read in the '70s, dammit? My collar is beginning to expand to disco proportions with each one you bring up.

Max Perkins: Editor of Genius. Some book.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

LBJ has a point here.

Maxwell Perkins at one time was probably the most famous editor in Amerian publishing but you'd probably be hard pressed + to find a second year English major who's ever heard of him.

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Bruce Jay Friedman. A Mother's Kisses. Funny, funny.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Robert Anton Wilson
    RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted