1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

overlooked genius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget that highly entertaining milk commercial.
    Alas, even there he's overshadowed by the traitorous bastard who killed him. Should've used that genius to dodge, Alex.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

One of Algren's Sox-themed pieces involved his troubles with the neighborhood kids when his folks moved to the North Side and he was the lone Sox fan. Pretty funny stuff.

A mirror of my dad's experience. His folks moved from NW Indiana to the South Side when he was seven. He went all the way though grade school and then St. Leo HS as the only Cub fan. Fortunately for him, he was in school during the Wilson-Hartnett era of NL pennant winners, so he had, as some would say in this era, "scoreboard."

3. Duane --
    As I've mentioned here before, last spring, in Dublin, I met The Brother, Miceal O'Nuillain, who's a painter and in his 80's. He told me that he really does like eggs.

Musically, I forgot to mention the genius that is James Booker.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

WI,

Whenever I go home to visit the family on the North Side, I always enjoy holding the Sox' title over the head of the many Cubs fans I come across, including the less-intelligent baseball fans among the relatives. Scoreboard, indeed.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm not sure how overlooked he is, but I rarely hear John McPhee's name mentioned anymore, especially by yung'uns talking about idols. He's been prolific, a top-notch reporter with a nice, light touch around the typewriter for a long time. Maybe we've just grown to take him for granted.

A Sense of Where You Are and Levels of the Game should be part of every college sportswriting course.

Plus, if you read his catalogue of work, the man has the best titles of just about any writer alive.

6. He lost me with his book about rocks.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I'll see your Steve Earle and raise you Townes Van Zandt, whome Earle calls the best US songwriter ever. Go buy "Live at the Old Quarter" immediately.

8. Love his writing. Love, love, love his writing.
    Never liked his voice much, though.
    And I'll see your Townes and raise you a Guy Clark.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Kinda like 'ol Mr. Zimmerman?

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Guy Clark is on my "look him up when I have time" music list. Is there a song or album that would be the best representative?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I present Common as an overlooked musical genius.

12. He's got a good Greatest Hits package, and a live one called "Keepers" that's fairly representative of his early work. His later stuff? I'd recommend "Boats To Build" and "The Dark."

Draft saved Draft deleted