1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overheard on the speakerphone at work...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, May 1, 2009.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The guy in the office next to mine LOVES to talk on speakerphone. I hear all kinds of stuff -- the daily afternoon talk with his wife (she goes to the gym most days after work and he often gets fish to make for dinner), his arguments with Sears about the extended warranty on his TV, not to mention the work related calls (he does our office's A/P). The conversation right now takes the cake, though. Apparently, he owes the IRS a ton of money and he's arguing with the company he hired to negotiate the amount down. The woman on the phone has access to all of his financial records, because I just heard how much money he has in his checking account, saving account, how much equity he has in his home and what he owes on his mortgage. WTF? Why would you discuss this on speakerphone? There are 4 other people on this hall who no doubt just heard all his financial details, too.

Anyone else have a good speakerphone story? (Or at least a better one than this?)

2. Just listening to half of a conversation on a cell phone call bugs me. How do you get any work done?

Whenever I call somebody and they put me on speakerphone I assume they're self absorbed assholes who want to feel important.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

He's out of his office for long stretches and tends to return his calls all in a row. I usually put the TV on to drown him out.

I tend to agree about people who talk on speakerphone. This guy doesn't fit that profile in any other way, though.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You should start dropping personal details into conversations with him. That's what I would do.

"You heading to lunch? Cool. By the way, how was that fish you picked up last night while your wife was at the gym?"

"Yes, I know that is a lot to expense this month, but it couldn't be helped. You could, however, bring down those mortgage payments if you refinanced that loan you have on the house with such and such bank."

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Not on a speakerphone, but a cellphone conversation in a pressbox: PR guy of MLB team acquiring his team's pitcher tickets to an NFL game. Gave the credit card number over the cell phone and within earshot of a handful of people.

6. The Big Ragu

By the way, are you at all concerned that the guy who does your A/P is having IRS problems?

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't say I recall any.

[​IMG]

8. The Big Ragu

Oh man, I forgot about that. You made me laugh.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

About 2 minutes after I posted, I thought of that. I'm wondering now if I should go tell our CFO. The CFO keeps a close eye on things, though, so I kind of just want to stay out of it.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I did it once or twice when he was fighting about the TV warranty. He didn't seem to get that I was mocking him.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not a speakerphone story but a phone story still. was having a discussion about dismissing an ad rep once and unknown to me because i'd just been hired as editor/publisher at this small weekly, the cheap phone system allowed others to eavesdrop on calls if they picked up on another line. yep, you guessed it, the ad rep heard the entire conversation.

12. The Big Ragu

Typical day at work for Dyno.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted