1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overheard in the press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 8, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So you have a philosophical opposition to flyovers at football games and NASCAR races? Are you against Air Shows?
    I figured people like to see where their tax dollars are going.

And it wasn't funny, according to you? We all know about your sense of humor. As in, you have none.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don't think that the spirit of this thread is that you're supposed to quote yourself.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

1999, September, Turner Field. With a base open, the Mets pitch to Chipper Jones. He hits a homer that buries the Mets.

One of the NY writers stands up and does the Heisman pose.

4. That's fantastic.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good-natured lost bet.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sidelines at halftime of a high school football game (yes, sidelines vs. press box), with the highlyt touted home team getting whipped in a first-round playoff game. Sitting on the bench with some of the chain gang guys, who were disappointed at the hometown team's performance throughout the first half and not afraid to say so (as chain gang guys are).

As the cheerleaders do their routines, one of them looks up, sees the visiting team's squad, and proclaim "Geez, even their cheerleaders are better than ours!"

(OK, maybe you had to be there)

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A couple of years ago on the road for the first round of the high school football players. Home team's inept radio crew:
    Guy A: What can you tell us from the scouting report on (our opponent)?
    Guy B: They are an old style team that just likes to pound the ball right at you. Four yards and a cloud of dust all night long.
    Guy A: It says here No. 8 is a two-time all-state wide receiver and leads the team in scoring with 14 touchdowns.
    Guy B: Well, they will throw it if the have to.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

HS basketball game. Local home team's blowing out visitors, and the student section starts taunting visiting players. Ref throws student section out. Home parents and fans go ballistic at refs, but the game manages to end.

As refs are walking off the court to the locker room, one home player's mom is trying to get after them. Some other home parents are also yelling. Me, I'm at the scorer's table giving a quick look at the stats to make sure mine match up with theirs.

As the chaos is going on around us, local HS girl scorekeeper comments, "You know, I feel a lot of love in this room right now."

9. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I was just at a high school football game. On occasion, Mrs. Burns comes along and spots. She even brings her own binoculars.
    There were a couple assistant coaches from another team in the press box with us. One looks over at the binoculars and says, "Those have a flask in them?"

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Arthur Blank doesn't appreciate this post.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Quite a few years ago, at the old Spectrum in Philadelphia, the Flyers finally got around to retiring the number 7 jersey of winger Bill Barber, after several subsequent players had worn it, much to Barber's well-known displeasure. The most recent guy to wear it had been defenseman Jay Wells, for at least a few years.
    Barber was walking up the narrow stairs into the press box and was greeted by Al Morganti, now a radio guy, then the Flyers beat writer for the Inquirer.
    "Hey, Billy!" Morganti said.
    Barber turned to accept yet another congratulation. But Morganti went a different way.
    "Didja hear? They're retiring Jay Wells' number tonight!"
    Barber's lips twitched, but he suppressed the laugh.
    "Fuck you, Al."

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A few hours after a game and an Internet scribe was still pounding away on his game story.
    One scribe: "Hey (name withheld) if you were working at a newspaper you'd be done by now."
    Second scribe: "Yeah (name withheld) if you were working at newspaper you'd be unemployed by now."

Draft saved Draft deleted