1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overheard in the press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought this might be a fun way to post the funniest or most outrageous things you've ever heard in a press box...

At the Super Bowl...

Columnist: Who is singing the anthem?
    Me: Jewel.
    Columnist: Is she the one with the tits?

2. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla New Member

Yes. Yes, she is.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I was having tea with the Queen in Buckingham Palace when Philip walks in and says to Elizabeth: “Where did you get the hat?”

Priceless!

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In an NFL press box sitting near a writer who is a liberal, politically. Guy complains about the taxpayers footing the bill for the pregame flyover. As the rumbling from the A-6 squadron is still audible, another guy leans over to him and says: "Know what that is? It's the sound of freedom."

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In a very quiet, outside of a few hand claps, NFL press box, a grizzled old columnist shouting "Who the fuck is clapping in the press box?" And as he turned around, the less than strong willed team owner drifted out the back door.

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

At a high school football game during halftime while the dance team is performing, HS AD says:
    "I swear our girls look more and more like hookers every year."

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Few years ago at a local dirt track. Kasey Kahne was there (his rookie year in Cup) so big-name Northwest sports writers are there. One of the Seattle sportswriters is watching qualifying and goes, "They don't get hurt here, do they? I mean, they're not going fast enough right?" He is informed cars are indeed going fast enough, accidents can be severe and drivers can get injured. A few minutes later, a car slams the wall and breaks into pieces, with the axle (tires still attached) flying into the pits. Driver was fine. Seattle sports guy was quiet after that. ;D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Once again, nice try.

Explain to me why a flyover at a sporting event has anything to do with freedom.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"I'd never accept an award where I could vote for myself."
    The Dwarf in the Tiger Stadium press box, the day it was announced that Jim Murray had won a Pulitzer for commentary.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Years ago, high school football press box. So tight that the writers area was right next to the visiting coaches.

Visiting team lines up on defense.
    Visiting coach A (in loud, shrill voice): "What (coverage) are we in? What are we in?"
    Quarterback throws ball to wide open receiver behind the defense.
    Visiting coach B (in deep baritone voice): "Deep shit."

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because if we can't have a flyover at a sporting event, the terrorists and the Muslims and the people who want to build a mosque at Ground Zero win.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

College football pressbox, and one reporter notes that the local African-American publication has once again sent their ace sportswriter, and once again he has showed up with his customary sweat pants and tee shirt with cut-off sleeves.

First reporter: "Nice of him to dress up for the game."
    Second reporter: "Hey, at least they're his dress sweat pants."

Draft saved Draft deleted