1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over vs. More than

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Jan 7, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You're more than an idiot.

2. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

When the managing editor sends out that memo chastising the staff for the increase in corrections and decrease in deadline efficiency resulting from the new 9:45 first-edition deadline while operating with two less copy editors because of buyouts or departures, I will be sure to use the "but we changed all the overs to more than" defense. A hint to you see-no-shade-of-gray-guys: They won't be saying great job. They will be saying get new copy editors.

I never said I "liked" letting this slide or that it is a common practice to do so. I said it doesn't bother me like it once did. Big difference. I expect copy editors to change it WHEN THEY HAVE TIME. But the directives laid down from the top are 1) make deadline; 2) use due dilligence in checking facts and; 3) write accurate and descriptive headlines as their top priorities. There are times those three missions are not compatible with going through 9 prep files at 9:15 and changing every over to more than and every win to victory.

At an earlier time in my career I would have been extremely upset by these minor things. I used to describe them as little flaws that collectively cause people to put the paper down. I would have obsessed over them to the point of ignoring all the good things about a section due to the cringe induced by the use of win as a noun.

I say fix it if you can, of course, but not at the expense of things that are of more importance in quality control. Readers understand what is meant by most of these phrases. So at some point in the night, fixing them can become counterproductive to 1, 2 and 3 and becomes a task better suited by coaching at the assignment-editor stage during the day -- to get the writers not to write it that way in the first place.

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Because of

4. All style guides, AP included, have some elements that are a matter of opinion. Everything's in there for a reason, but there are plenty of things in the AP book where an intelligent, reasonable person could have an opposite opinion. In that case, I say, ignore the book and make the decision that best serves the reader and the story. And hire copy editors who can make those decisions, not robots.

5. Jumpin' Jeebus. It takes two seconds to change over to more than. If your writers are using it incorrectly 12 times in every story, than once again, you have a bigger problem.

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

because of :p

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i really weep for you guys who don't have the time or desire to do a good job. i really do. my heart bleeds for both your ignorance and lack of pride. being stupid and/or lazy probably isn't your fault. you either were born with a low IQ and/or weren't taught a work ethic when growing up.

at the same time, please, do us all a favor and get the fuck out of a business that you bastardize each and every pathetic day of your lives. think of others and make it stop now.

in all sincerity, really, tomas

8. captzulu

captzulu Member

Tell me this is a joke, please. How the heck does anyone seriously draw this conclusion from a discussion about "over" vs. "more than"?!

Draft saved Draft deleted