1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over vs. More than

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I knew there was a reason I liked you more than most.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I sure as hell hope so. Still hear it repeatedly, even from people who seriously think they'll one day win one.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

What about "over" versus "against?"

My boss always uses "So and So shot the ball well in a victory over East So and So."

I always change over to against. I'm right, right?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yours is more grammatically correct, but the former has become so used it's generally accepted.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What's the "more than"/"fewer than" on tonight's game?

Just illustrating that while technically incorrect, "over" isn't the taboo that we're making it out to be.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

One of my j-school copy editing professors told me a few years ago that some newsrooms do not like "over" being used. She did not even like students using it for her assignments.

She did suggest that you could use "approximately" instead of over or under...

This was my reaction: :eek: ??? ???

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

One of my college advisors had a sign over his office door. It read: This sign in more than the door. Over is the wrong word in that circumstance. Never forgot the rule after seeing that sign.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've always been a "more than" guy, but there are some gray areas I've run across lately where "over" seemed a better fit. Naturally, I can't think of any now.

I'm also a "past" guy, as in "the past 30 games"...but I would also never say, "this past weekend" and would always say "last weekend."

There are those that say my accepting "last" in the second instance means I should be OK with "last" in the first, and they're probably right, but oh, well.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Gimme LSU -3.5 and more than 47 tonight.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Or as our desk here would say "more than $20 PER week."
    It's correct, but annoting to change because nobody speaks like that.

11. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

I used to be hung up on all this but I don't care anymore. Maybe its simply a matter of having less time to correct these little things, I don't know. But I'm not going to sweat "win" or "victory," "over" or "more than" or any of these other anal-retentive, copy-editor arguments. I used to think this attention to detail was the mark of a good section but I think it's waaaaaaay overrated now. We have more important things to sweat and our readers don't care about these arguments.

12. Agreed. The main reason we have style guides is to make sure the reader understands what we're writing. Every reader will understand what you mean when you use over in that way

Draft saved Draft deleted