1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over-used "Cool" Words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Nov 1, 2007.

1. I covered a school once that operated out of the run-and-shoot that just so happened to have a horrible game. I referred to their offense as it looked more like the "stumble-and-fall" ... got a few chuckles from readers over that one.

Back to the subject though ... I hate hearing people say "Man, he can really shoot the trifecta" or "he can shoot it from downtown" ... talk about over-used, lame and past their prime.

2. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

-"Scuffle," as a fill-in for "struggled" or "played like shit," particularly in baseball

-"Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah," Douchebag Quarterback said over a cobb salad, side of asparagus (butter on the side) and glass of chardonnay at Tavern on the Green.

3. KG

KG Active Member

Not sure if this should fall under "cool" words, but I completely loathe threads that are started by throwing a subject out there and the initial post ends with "discuss."

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's almost as if they borrowed that from women's basketball.

"Take it one game at a time."

"On any given Sunday."

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Trickeration.

Oh, sorry, you said cool words.

6. Oh you hit this M-Fer right on the head!!! I hate that damn non-word!!!! There is no such F-ing thing as Trickeration. Give me a break ... is this the cool way of saying it was a "trick play" ?????? Well, it's one of the dumbest sports jargon phrases ever.

Hate it. Hate it. Hate. It. I wanna go smash something after reading that Damn word!!!! DONT EVER USE IT!!!

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Outside of TV douche-nozzles, who actually uses this word?

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

You must be the president of the Dickie V fan club.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

And while we're on it (and this goes back to the TV folk), I'm not quite sure when defense became a verb (i.e. The play was well defensed). Is it really that much harder to say 'defended'?

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

"Surreal"
    Not a sports-specific complaint, but I have noticed that people, especially actors and musicians, use this word every chance they get. They think it makes them sound intelligent, when it actually makes them sound unoriginal and phony, especially when they don't use it properly.

This makes me angry.

11. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

I don't know if this fits or not, but I hate it when I read an article and I see the phrase "no matter", or other similar phrases.

Something like

Player A ran for 150 yards on 20 carries.

No matter. Team B won 30-20.

You know, something like that. It just seems amateurish to me, but I see it all the time.

12. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Schaudenfrade. Columnists around the nation have run this one into the ground in the last few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted