1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over-used "Cool" Words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Nov 1, 2007.

1. spud

spud Member

Not a word, but...

"The pass was too tall for the receiver..."

Oh fucking really?

And I swear if somebody tells me they "shot themselves in the foot" in a press conference again I'm really going to do it. And the incessant need to place the name of the sport being played into the analysis also gets my goat. "They're a really good football team... the measure of this basketball team will be... you just have to protect the football...." Filler for actually analysis, I says.

Anything with the words "motor," "moxie" or "trey" involved also get the boot.

2. Taylee

Taylee Member

Bringing the "A game"

Witnessed this one many years back and re-told it a few weeks ago.
    Co-worker interviewing coaches for a football preview.
    Coach X says something along the lines of needing to give "100 percent on each play." Reporter quickly said, "That probably won't do it, coach, because I just got off the phone with Coach Y and he said his team was going to give 110 percent."
    Coach X then said, "We're not worried. Our 100 percent is better than their 110 percent any day."

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I wrote a column at a football game involving two bad teams, and I wrote that one seemed to be running the run-and-shoot yourself in the foot offense.

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

And why does every football coach in creation seem to have to explain that he's talking about football.
    Our football team expects to play a good football game. That's a good football team over there, a very well-coached football team, but we have a good football team too.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nice. Wish I thought of that one.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

On page 2 and no mention of "jacked," up or not.

YHS, etc

7. Flash

Flash Guest

'Virtually'

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Good start.

Add:
    It's all good.

Basically.

I'm sure I'll come up with more as I encounter them.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

"Window of opprotunity." I must have heard this 20+ times in the last few weeks. The other one I hate, that it seems to me nearly every prep coach says after a victory nowadays. "We were focused on winning." Hate it, hate it, hate it. Sick of hearing it.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Forgot one:

Arguably.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

But there's an i in win.

Base knock and red zone are among my personal (least) favorites.

Draft saved Draft deleted