1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over-used "Cool" Words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Nov 1, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

FotF --

I, for one, always just assumes that means he's good at Ms. McGill's rooming house.

Drinking tea, etc.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

"It is what it is" tops this list, but it's so overdone that it's probably well past "overdone cool phrase" territory and into "completely over cliche."

Funny, athleticism was bugging me the other day.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I pretty much agree with this list. Although I'm trying to think of another way to say "atheticism" or "athletic."

Not long ago, I described a player as a "human pogo stick of a center." Desk changed it to "athletic center." But ah well. It is what it is. ;)

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Coach on the field" paints a picture "leader" by itself cannot, but "coach on the field" has been used so much, it has lost some of that impact. Best to show us how he's a coach on the field. If you can't do that, then he's probably not.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If you're like me, you watch Rachel Ray with the sound turned off.

I guess the writing device I dislike most it the period-after-every-word device to add emphasis: "End. Of. Thread."

I read somewhere that the writers of the 1970s sitcom "Welcome Back, Kotter" decided they didn't want to copy anyone's slang, they wanted to create slang. So they came up with "Up your nose with a rubber hose." And it did enter the slang usage of that time. I think it would be cool to write a novel or a script in which a bunch of people talk in entirely created slang -- nothing borrowed from this or any other era, but dead-on enough so people of this or any other era could understand it through context.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Frank, wouldn't that book be titled "A Clockwork Orange"?

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Is that what they did? I read the book when I was 14, I don't remember any of it.

8. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Plus. One.

Totally. agree.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I had never seen that device in actual, god's honest news/sports writing before ... until I picked up this week's SI. Austin Murphy used it in his Mizzou story. It. Didn't. Work.

10. I. Like. It. Just. Kidding.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

That's a good list. I'll add these two:
    - (Team name) Nation.
    - Walkoff homer (or single, double, triple).

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

He makes his teammates better

Draft saved Draft deleted