1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over-used "Cool" Words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Nov 1, 2007.

1. In this business we hear so many of the same phrases, words, catch-phrases, cool, new or hip lingo that it becomes sickening to hear them so much. I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite ... or in this case ... least favorite is?

I'll start it.

Everytime I turn around somebody is telling me "It's such a polarizing topic" ... I F-ing hate the word polarizing now. Yeah it was cool the first 10 times I heard it, but now I have heard it like 58,000 times and everybody wants to say it. I get so sick of hearing it that I'd like to stop whoever it is --- a coach, friend, athlete, fan or even co-worker --- right in mid-sentence and tell them to Shut the F up!!!

So, clearly I'm over-reacting to this word and this phrase, and I know this. But I F-ing hate it now. I wish whoever originally said it would jump in front of a bus but then if that happened somebody would say "Can you believe that guy who started the whole 'polarizing' catch phrase jumped in front of a bus? Man, that's so polarizing."

Anybody agree? Anybody got any "Cool" phrases that makes them want to choke the person who spits it out??

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Huckleberry.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Booyah.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wouldn't this be a copy-cat of the slang thread?

And welcome back. You had mentioned you were going away a few times. Surprised to see you still kicking around.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

At the end of the day...
    It is what it is...
    Do more with less...
    Work harder, not smarter...
    "Position elimination program"...
    In order to stay competitive...
    24/7...
    "a good (fill in the sport) IQ"...
    synergy...
    athleticism...
    "hater"...

6. Thanks! I'm alive and kicking. Sorry if I duplicated another thread.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"Field general" or "coach on the field"

I get it. He's the team leader.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Team leader.
    Vocal leader.
    Leader by example.

9. Oh man, I hate that "It is what it is" phrase. ... Somewhere that one started seems within the last year or two ... now it's everywhere. That's one I hadn't thought about, but definitely makes me wanna grab them and choke another sentence out.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

"We want to be a team that's hard to play against."
    "There is no i in team."
    "We left it all out there on the field."

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I get up and leave whenever I hear about any hockey player who is "good in the room."

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted