1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over the line or Free speech?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ex puts up a billboard accusing girlfriend of abortion.
    Free speech gone to far?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_abortion_billboard

I'm guessing she had an abortion or she'd sue his ass for libel.
    Either way, abortion or no, I think this is beyond the line. This woman is not a public figure and she should have some rights here in regard to privacy. This isn't a funeral where the public can attend. ..

And shame on the fucking billboard company - that's some scruples.
    The billboard should come down and this guy ought to be kicked in the balls about two dozen times.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Invasion of privacy.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, yes - it is far worse that this guy bought a sign to rightfully rip this lady for killing his kid against his wishes than the actual act of, you know, killing a kid.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's not killing a kid. It's undergoing a legal medical procedure.

I wonder if HIPPA laws would apply here, although I'm guessing they would not

5. And here. we. go!

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

HIPPA does not apply here unless the boyfriend was also her medical provider.

She's not clearly identified. In the billboard the reference is to the "mother" of "our child." Identification is important if she's to have any legal recourse and the way that thing is worded it's pretty tenuous. Had he referred to his "ex-girlfriend" or something like that, then it would be much less so. But if she can get over that hurdle, this would easily be a publication of private facts tort.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of abortion (I know, who is?) and not that this is a good excuse, but this guy doesn't exactly strike you as having the right temperment to be a good father. Just because someone can biologically have kids doesn't mean they should. And I'm not sure I'd want someone who would do something this absurd to be in my and my child's life forever.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is definitely not covered by libel law, but common sense tells me this has to be an invasion of privacy. But I'm no legal expert.

9. Baron Scicluna

Under the law, that's what it is. If she was a killer, she'd be arrested, unless it was extenuating circumstances like self-defense or something like that.

She wasn't arrested. Abortion is legal. Not the greatest thing in the world. But legal.

10. Baron Scicluna

I'm no legal expert either, but, if she had a miscarriage instead of an abortion, I wonder if she could sue for libel. After all, he's using the word "Kill". Someone could interpret that as the GF killing the baby when it was already born.

11. That's my thought... but again, I'm inclined to think she had an abortion or she'd have already sued...

And PLEASE... can we stay away from the abortion is murder, is not, is too argument for a few pages? Please?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted