1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ovechkin's chase of Gretzky

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wanted to break this out of the NHL thread - Alex Ovechkin got No. 700 today. He's 194 behind Gretzky. He's 34.

Does he catch him? What say you?

I say yes but I'm a fanboy. I love watching that guy play. I promised my son if he gets within range, we'll be there.

garrow likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If he wants to try, he will. And by try I mean play until he's 40. He's got one year left on his current deal and he's one a Cup. If signs a three-year deal after that or goes year to year and see how he feels, he might not be up for it. Of course if he's tickling 750 by the end of next year, maybe the allure is too strong to not give it a go

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He needs 35 to 40 goals per year for the next 5 years depending where he finishes this year. Granted we don't know how his health holds up, but yeah he probably gets there. Every goal he notches this year is one less that final year when he's turning 40 so maybe he'll only need 25 to 30 that 5th year... not impossible but he has a lot of miles on those legs.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Whether he gets it or not, you have to give him credit. I didn't think anyone in this day and age would ever get close to that record.

wicked and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He has a tremendous chance of getting there. Whether he actually does depends on health, though that's never been an issue for him. Russian Machine Never Breaks, you know?

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Shooting on goalies that have puffy pads and know how to stand up on 2 skates makes it more impressive no matter what the final number is

Draft saved Draft deleted