1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outstanding story on Bruce Jenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clintrichardson, May 22, 2012.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Used to think the Kardashians were vacuous idiots.

Then I watched their E! True Hollywood story (I think).

Some real love and brains in that family. They are all, especially the mom, crazy like a fox.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes and no, yes and no. Real love and brains works a little harder to better the world.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The mom works her ass off; she may be a genius. The kids, well, they're related to the mom.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some would say that's why Kim posed for Playboy, to better the world.

Anyway, they're under no obligation to anyone but each other and themselves. What does it mean to "better the world"? They're not committing a crime, and people seem to enjoy their show.

No one can judge anyone else based on some nebulous idea of "bettering the world."

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know, but who could have predicted keeping O.J. alive and out of jail wouldn't be the worst thing Bob Kardashian did for the world?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Love this passage:

What those people who hate this family from afar can't see is the very particular love that stamps it. Bruce Jenner has taken it upon himself to rescue his ridiculous extended clan by doing what none of its other members will ever do: He has elected to lose. The person in the house who has most earned his fame has chosen to accept the least of it.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Damn it. LTL beat me to the O.J. reference.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If that is the case, could we also conclude that Snooki and the rest of Jersey Shore gang are geniuses as well for their reality show celebrity notoriety?

Reading the Esquire article further confirms what I have thought for a while and that is that Bruce has lost his mind. He seems to have that Brian Wilson medicated stare thing going.

The show has a bit of a "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" quality about it, with Bruce as sole patient and Kris as Nurse Ratchet.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sure you can judge. I am, in fact. I'm saying they don't do much to better the world, all the money and notoriety they have. That's judgment.

If you want to say no one every should, hey, go ahead. I do think we have a larger obligation outside of our own self-interest. You don't. I worry not about the potential philosophical constraints that my concept of "bettering the world" might have on others, and you do worry about it. OK.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I liked the story as well. I remember I had Bruce Jenner shoes back in the day. They had the gold medal around the shoestring.

He does seem neutered by the Kardashian mess, but he seems OK with it. Or, he's just given up. But the older girls do seem to love him.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Scott Raab with a rare Bill Murray Q and A. Does it matter that he has a movie coming out?

www.esquire.com/features/man-at-his-best/q-and-a/bill-murray-interview-0612

Draft saved Draft deleted