1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outstanding professional journalist, Penn State University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 26, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The College of Communications at Penn State seeks an outstanding professional journalist for the Foster Professor of Writing and Editing. The appointment will begin in August 2007. The Professorship was endowed by Larry and Ellen Foster. Its inaugural holder, Gene Foreman, longtime managing editor of The Philadelphia Inquirer, chose to retire from full-time teaching after serving eight years.

The successful candidate will be appointed at the rank of professor to a fixed-term multiyear contract. He or she will possess strong professional credentials as a reporter, writer and/or editor in print journalism and will have earned a national reputation for excellence; will have the desire, energy, organizational skills, commitment and resiliency to make a smooth transition from industry to the academy; will be able to cement partnerships with professionals and academics; will be able to work developmentally with students, teaching and inspiring them to excel as reporters and editors while adhering to the highest ethical standards; and will be firmly committed to preparing future generations of journalists for the challenges that await them. Management and lecture experience is desirable. An advanced degree would be a plus.

The College of Communications is the largest nationally-accredited undergraduate program in the country and one of seven accredited communications programs in the Northeast. The College is home to four departments: Advertising/Public Relations; Film/Video and Media Studies; Journalism; and Telecommunications. Faculty members in the Department of Journalism possess a blend of academic and professional credentials; they average nearly 10 years of full-time teaching experience and 15 years of full-time professional experience. Faculty members publish in academic journals and the professional press. The College offers five undergraduate majors (advertising/public relations, film/video, journalism, media studies, and telecommunications), master's degree programs in media studies and telecommunications studies, and a Ph.D. program in mass communications.

The University Park Campus is set in State College, a university town located in the heart of central Pennsylvania. State College offers a vibrant community with outstanding recreational and cultural activities, a low crime rate, and excellent public schools. The campus is within a half-day drive to Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Pittsburgh. For more information, please visit www.psu.edu/dept/comm and www.cbicc.org.

Send a letter describing qualifications, a resume outlining background and experience, and the names of three to five references to:

Foster Professor Search Committee
    College of Communications
    Penn State
    201 Carnegie Building
    Box A-24401
    University Park, PA 16802

Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Gene Foreman was pretty well respected in the university, and he had a lot of input on what went on with the journalism program there.

Could be an awesome gig for someone who wants to settle down and take a job outside the newsroom. Other than the fact that central Pennsylvania municipalities don't know how to plow their roads during snowstorms, State College is a great place to live.

3. boots

boots New Member

Gene was and still is the man. As for State College, well let's just say that you'd better pack a warm blanket.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I had Gene for a class when I was there. I remember him for his monotone voice, but he knew his shit. I'll give him that. As far as the warm blanket, just find yourself a cozy coed to keep you warm. Who knows with all the housing there it could end up being your neighbor.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I passed on Gene's class when I was there. Heard he was a pain in the ass to have as a professor. And he's also nearly stone-deaf.

6. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

This is the kind of opening that shows why you should try to sneak in graduate school at some point in your career, because these jobs always require an advanced degree, and the way things are going, it's likely you're going to want to at least consider getting out of newspapers (or whatever) someday.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Say again please!

8. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

Foreman was amazing. I passed on the journalism degree but made sure to take two of his classes. Wish I had been able to take the third.

Let's hope Penn State can hire someone half as good as he was.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How in the world did you make it through two of his classes?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know someone who had two of his classes in the same semester.

(If this gets Korman to come out from hibernation, you know it has to be good.)

11. Duton

Duton Member

We could go on for days about the greatness of Gene Foreman. I still can't believe I took a class with a man for whom the newsroom at the Philadelphia Inquirer is named. His class was tough for me, but that's because I'm a shaky copy editor at best and gawdawful at layout, and also, because he often caught me asleep in class, which was not a rarity at all in college. Still, he was great to me even though I probably fell well short of his expectations in class, and I feel privileged to have learned from him. Good luck to whoever gets this job because the shoes are virtually impossible to fill.

12. Duton

Duton Member

Also, Gene bought me a binder for class because I was dragging my feet on buying one and he simply assumed I couldn't afford one. Simultaneously one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me and one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. Not really a funny story now, but it was at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted