1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

outsourcing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 3, 2008.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

You had to see this coming. Editor and Publisher reports several dailies are shipping ad jobs to India. A Pasadena online paper even put an ad up for a metro writer working remotely out of India last year. Hard to imagine Singleton's bean counters haven't at least considered routing prep results call-in lines overseas. Imagine Friday night football calls taken in Bangladesh?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003797872

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

so does this mean newspapers will now put their phone number someplace you can't fucking find it, like with Dell?

"Hello and thank you for calling the Bumfuck Gazette. To report a prep score, please press 1."

*press 1*

"Thank you for choosing local news. To report an obiturary, please press 1. To report a local crime, please press 2. To report a kitten in a tree, please press 3. To return to the main menu, please press 0."

*press 0*

"Thank you for calling our advertising department. There is no one here to take your call. To leave a message in our general mail box, please press 3. To return to the main menu, please press 0."

*press 7*

"Thank you for calling our prep sports department. Someone will be with you shortly. The estimated wait time is.............................93 minutes."

*10 minutes later*

"Hello there my name is Steve and I am a Local Scores Service Provider. How may I help you tonight?"

"Yeah I'm calling to report Bumfuck's baseball game against East Fuck Tech."

"What game?"

"Baseball."

"Pardon me sir?"

"BASEBALL GODDAMNIT!"

*30-second delay*

"OK thank you for your patience sir. I am in the baseball database now. Please tell me the teams you are calling about."

"Bumfuck."

"Say that again please."

"Bumfuck!"

"Can you spell that?"

"B--U--M--F--U--C--K!"

*30 second delay*

"I'm sorry sir I'm not finding a Bomfuck in the database."

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

That's the call I'm picturing. I don't they'll make people go through the voice mail maze though. Just directly reroute the calls overseas. Good times...

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the folks you call when you don't get your paper are already in fucking india. they have no fucking clue. shocking.

it's amazing that no one in this country has every had a satisfactory experience with an indian or phillipino customer service call and yet every day more companies switch to those fuckers.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No Speeko Dee Engleeesh.

6. Outstanding Mr. Hack.

You've got a bright future.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dah. i think he'll fade fast.

8. How fast?

9. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Best Buy answers the phone in India or some damn place. Bunch of fucking idiots and you can't understand because the accent is so thick.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

?*

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No Speeko Dee Engleeesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted