1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Outside The Lines" featuring... Bill Simmons!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MacDaddy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

39 footnotes.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I saw some of Newman's cereals in the local grocery store today.

It made me sad.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe I just wanted to make it FHB's problem instead of mine? :)

I read the first segment, then got bored. It's too bad. I think Simmons writes well. Better than a lot of people on here want to give him credit for. I'm just not all that interested most of the time; not anymore. I have no idea if I am representative of most people. I'm usually not representative, so I won't trash the guy.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Awful, awful article but he makes one very interesting point about Boras orchestrating Manny's actions.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I tried again.. I think I got 2000 words or eight footnotes into it and gave up.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I wonder if perhaps the footnotes are a wrongheaded homage to the late, lamented DFW.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Him and all the newspaper honchos who believe that "clicks" now dictate everything when it comes to what gets covered, how it gets covered, who covers it and so on.

8. VJ

VJ Member

It's a joke that any news organization would allow its writers to use the term "we" in a story that's labeled as a legit news piece.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Yeah, but he ain't the first to do it, nor is he the best to do it.
    Selah.

10. apseloser

apseloser Member

This is my new favorite website. I thought I was the only one who thought Simmons was a hack. Glad to see I have company. Still, an awful lot of people who click on his work.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nice handle.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Exactly. Why not just write that column, a column that needed to be written, and be done with it?

There's that old saying that nothing that has ever been written couldn't be made better by shortening it by 25 percent. With Simmons, it's more like 65 percent.

That column accomplished nothing, other than "summarizing" Manny's career in Boston, using everyone else's reporting. But at least he had a Jamie Lynn Spears reference in there.

This is the opposite of what Outside the Lines is supposed to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted