1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outside: 'How Our Totally Average Runner Broke the Sub-Five Minute Mile'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2017.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Not my main event, but think I was just north of 5 minutes in HS--which wasn't anywhere near good enough to compete for any awards of significance. Even my 800 pace was just slightly faster than the pace at which the best ran the 1600. (Not that I was very good at the 800 either--just passable enough I could limp across the finish line to help the stars on our team medal in county and conference relays).

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's seems to be a run (no pun intended) on these stories lately. Michael McKnight in SI wrote about dunking a year and a half or so ago and, last week, wrote about hitting a BP homer out of a major league park. Each took a helluva lot of work and it made for good reading.

Inky_Wretch and Iron_chet like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I was covering a state high school track meet last weekend and saw that the national girls high school record is now 4:33. I suddenly didn't feel so good about the six minute pace I run.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because sports goals like this are so measurable, I think it gives you a good sense of how damn hard you have to work to excel at anything - and how much is dependent on natural talent as a limiting factor.

Iron_chet and Batman like this.
  5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Girls' 1500 high school record is 4:04.62. That's 4:25 for the mile. Chew on that one for a while :)

Hermes likes this.
  6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Same here. Once I get rolling, I can run forever but I don't think I could do anything near a 6:30 minute mile, no matter what kind of shape I'm in.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This.
    Swimming was my sport. When I was in shape, I was respectable -- about 30 seconds for a 50-meter freestyle and 1:10 for a 100 the last time I competed about four years ago -- but neither is even close to being great. And no matter how hard I worked, how much I worked out, there was just no way to shave off the five seconds in the 50 or the 10 seconds in the 100 that would make me great. There's a natural barrier that you hit where all you can do is cut fractions of a second with better technique. If you're not fast to begin with there's only so much you can do, and the skill becomes making your limitations work in your favor as best you can.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We used to do interval training on the bike paths and roads around Microville. After several half-mile pulls with a half-mile interval, we had a mile pull (probably not exact, but measured by an automobile odometer) on campus way at Microville Tech. We generally did those in about 5:00-5:05. It felt fast. Never ran T&F in HS, but did get my 10K time down to 35:34 before my body started falling apart. I know on a track when we did 800m pulls I could run one or two just under 2:20.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

35:34?

Damn.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I had to run a 6-minute mile in high school just to be allowed to start basketball practice. A few years ago, I ran a 3:06 half-mile on the treadmill and thought I was going to die. Today, if you put a gun to my head and tell me to run a 6-minute mile, I have a better chance of taking that gun away than I do of running that mile.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've never been much of a runner, and to the extent I was able to it was sprints and not distance. In high school, we had to do a mile in third-period gym class once. I made it without walking or stopping, which I was proud of, but I think I was right at 10 minutes and looked afterward like I'd run 50 miles in the desert.
    My next class was history, and the teacher was the soccer coach. He noticed my haggard appearance and asked what happened. I told him I ran a mile in gym class, and what my time was. He laughed and asked one of his soccer players, "John, tell him how fast you have to run a mile in soccer practice."
    "Five minutes, coach."
    The teacher just laughed again, probably thought, "God, this generation is full of pussies," and got on with the class while I died a little inside and had my small personal achievement squashed like a bug.
    Way to inspire, Mr. Potenza.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Potenza? Putsinya!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted