1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outrageous (or unbelievable) statement dilemma

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 23, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: Outrageous statement dilemma

Um, not exactly an outrageous comment.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Re: Outrageous statement dilemma

Admittedly that was a bad choice for the subject line.:) Should have said "unbelievable comment."

For purposes of the larger debate, not this one specifically, it was ok, though.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not even that unbelievable.
    Bonds being arrogant. Good lead note, nothing more.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Yes, I based my posts here on something that might be a tad controversial. Knowing the quote changes my approach.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

It sure generated a lot of reader comments. :D

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, like I said, the reason for the dilemma was that it's obvious he really can't play any position, and when he says something like that, am I serving the readers by reporting it in this context?

Personally I don't believe there is any chance that Bonds will ever put on a first baseman's glove.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Agreed. That's something most every player in any sport would say.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There's no way he's playing anywhere but left field or DH, in my opinion. He's 43, extremely wealthy and doesn't need to make sacrifices on the playing field. Either he's happy or he doesn't play, and he won't be happy at first.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

BB, don't know how long you've been in the business, but that was basically a flippant comment from an arrogant prick, designed to blow you off.
    Sorry to say that.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I know that. That's the whole reason for this thread. If he had seriously sat there and pondered the question and answered earnestly, I wouldn't have an issue.

But I asked the guy three times and this is what he came up with. It wasn't just one comment as he passed me in the hall. We talked for three or four minutes, and after he said this, he got called away. He didn't say it as he was walking away, if that makes a difference. That's why it was murky to me about how much weight I should give it.

I mean, when we ask him in spring training about the grand jury stuff and he shrugs his shoulders and says "Let them investigate." That's the same sort of response, but everyone makes a big deal over that. I actually engaged in a bit of a debate with a New York writer that day because to me that was just a flippant "Barry Being Barry" thing and he was all worked up over "Barry challenges the feds!!"

Draft saved Draft deleted