1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outrageous (or unbelievable) statement dilemma

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Outrageous statement dilemma

Seriously, if you are interviewing the guy and he says something crazy, go with it.

If you are just chit chatting and he says it to you alone and you want to maintain a relationship, I'd ask if you can quote him.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The guy definitely knew it was an interview.

I guess I should go ahead and use it, but I'm still going to provide the context for the reader with "Although he said this, don't necessarily take it to the bank." Or something like that.

I believe it was one of those situations where he didnt' want to give a lot of thought to the answer, because neither of the two possible answers was appealing to him, so he just threw out something.

Unfortunately he had to walk away right after he said it, and I doubt I'll be able to get him again today.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Context is important, but it's important to led the reader know how full of crap someone is if they're the ones providing the manure.

4. Re: Outrageous statement dilemma

BB, why do you feel the need to protect him? Unless someone is making a joke, in which case you should make it clear that the comment was not meant to be taken seriously, I don't think it's your job to shield the well-paid public figures you cover from the impact of their words. And...isn't it condescending, just a little, to say, "This, word for word, is what he said...but he's a little slow/unthinking/ridiculous, so you shouldn't actually believe him"?

I know I don't know the specific circumstances (and the specific answer) you're dealing with here...just strikes me as somewhat strange.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of an interview? To help us give the readers some insights into that person. We filter all kinds of things in doing that -- we might write about what he wore but not what he ate. If the quote is out of character (and not public), does it serve your purpose of helping your readers "know" the person? You could catch me on a bad day and scribble down, "The world is going to hell and I don't care because I hate people anyway." You'd really have to evaluate whether that offers an insight into my soul or is just frustration because some cellphone-using idiot in the parking lot nearly ran me over. Context is important, true, but so is deciding what's illuminating and what's just shock value.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, I just talked to my SE about it and we decided to run it, even though both of us agreed that the statement may not have been 100 percent earnest. We can't read minds. I'm providing the context that his statement may amount to nothing, but here it is.

It's something people are talking about, and this will be interesting to them. If the player changes his mind later, we can just run another story.

It's really not that big of a deal, I guess. It's nothing you are going to see on Nightline.

7. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

I'm sorry, but why was this even a question? Your SE is right, you can't read minds. He's a pro athlete. You're a reporter. If he doesn't want to see something in print he shouldn't say it to a reporter. As someone else said, you wouldn't think twice if it was a politician that said it.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ridgeway with a great answer, as usual. Another question: Was he joking? Did he laugh when he said whatever he said? Did he say it facetiously? Was he in a hurry and trying get out of the room? All of these things can be reported, too, and can often give the quote better context. Put the reader in the room with you the best you can and maybe they can decide for themselves.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

Journalists should contribute to the discussion in society, not just provide a salacious forum for any millionaire athlete. If the quote's that out there, what's wrong with broadening the discussion with him. Did he mean it? Why did he mean it? What's his point?

One approach is a headline.

The other is a discussion.

Think of journalists you admire and ask yourself what you think they would do.

10. Re: Outrageous statement dilemma

If it had been a high school athlete, I think you would have needed to be cautious.
    A professional athlete DEFINITELY knows better. He can clarify later if he wants, but if he knew he was talking to a reporter, he is responsible for what he said.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I have a feeling tomorrow that when Michael Vick says he didn't mean to kill the dogs, he just wanted to beat them up a little bit, we're all going to feel a little guilty that we contributed. ;D

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, here it is .... Like I said, it wasn't a issue of major importance to the world, but it is something that would get people talking around here if he was really serious.

In case you don't want to read it, the question was to Barry Bonds about whether he'd consider moving to first base to give himself more options for playing in '08. In my opinon, based on past talks with him, he wouldn't. I don't think he wanted to say either "Yes, I would play first base." or "No, I wouldn't play first base." So he threw out "I can play any position any time." I asked him the question in three different forms and this was as close to an actual answer as he gave before he was called away from the interview.

When I then ran it by a Giants official, he pretty much dismissed it as Barry being Barry. (The headline misrepresented this part of the story, although my boss said it was going to be fixed online, so maybe it is by the time you read it.)

Anyway, if nothing else it's a conversation-starter, which is one of the roles we are supposed to be serving, I think. I hope I provided the proper context.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20070824/SPORTS/708240360/1010/SPORT01

Draft saved Draft deleted