1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outrageous electric bill help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

See if you can buy your electric straight from a distributor at fixed rates? I am locked into lower rates than my electric and gas company were providing when I shopped for a distributor. The billing comes from the same providers I had previously. The company just buys the electric from a company I chose instead.

2. Our house is 1,550 square feet. We live in the Midwest. In the winter, our bill can be as high as $320. It's a three-month span. But generally, we pay about $150 per month at other times of the year.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We got a new furnace and replaced the weather stripping around the doors and windows and are saving about $90 a month and that's on a pretty big (3000+ square feet) house. $200 a month is normal for us now. It used to be brutal.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would second this and also see if you can get an energy audit. The utility usually does it for free. We had it done when we bought the house. Had to put in more insulation in the attic, replace the windows and front door. But we heat the house with natural gas, so I paid more for electricity in my old apartment than I do my house.

Draft saved Draft deleted