1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outing Doug Ferguson's anonymous source

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of proclaiming you got something first. Half the time I see it, it's not from the place I saw it first. Next on the list of things that can go -- "exclusive interviews" with people that will talk to anyone who calls them. You didn't get Bobby Fischer, you got a two-star recruit who already signed and won't play for two years.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

ESPN.com gets it right ... although, I would note, Golf Digest's site is "in partnership" with the WWL;

After consulting with doctors regarding treatment for his wife's breast cancer, Phil Mickelson has decided to return to golf at the St. Jude Classic in Memphis on June 11, sources told Golf World.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You're still making an assumption that Ferguson didn't have a source. Do we really want to assume that Mickelson told Golf Digest before he told his agent, the Tour and the St. Jude Classic? Rosaforte may have been the first reporter he told, but it would be a stretch to believe he was the first golf person he told, and one of those people could well have tipped off Ferguson, who was trying to confirm. I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt. I think it's speculative to assume he stole the story.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I agree.

You know, I went back and re-read my initial posting, which really doesn't track with the thread title.

By the time Ferguson was ready to file, I think my point was, the use of an anonymous source was beside the point.

You had the guy himself confirming it to another news organization. That should trump the anonymice.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is probably what happened...
    I see this so many times these days, especially with the pro teams in town:

Ferguson told Michelson's people he had a source confirming the return, and was going with the story. In this day of crisis management, marketing, communicational delivery (my personal favorite on so many levels), spin, pushing, sourcing, first-to-get-up, Phil's people lob the phone call to Golf Digest assuring their version is out first.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ryan: We haven't gotten a "we got it first" call to AP in a long time.

But if the story were big enough....

7. Now that I read it again, I think you're correct. I thought Golf Digest was anonymously sourced, as well. They talked to Phil himself. I think at that point, anonymous sourcing isn't good enough any more.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It would have to be damn big for me to call AP and complain. Damn big.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I have called our state AP guy before when he incorrectly referenced a competitor getting it first. And have also called him to tip/trigger a story quoting us. Also have called ESPN twice to get BottomLine placement on HUGE stories.

Ferguson is the best in the game, peeps, and is perhaps the fairest.

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted