1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outing alert ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

I can see why the paper wants to find out and good job with that, but once it was discovered a brother-sister pair in their 80s did it.... Not sure it needed to go forward.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment, but then you are basically telling your readers that they don't have a right to know everything about their town's finances and a.) why should the newspaper get to decide that for them, and b.) where do you draw the line once you've set that precedent? I have a feeling that everyone who gives money will claim good intentions (and maybe even mean it), but that still leaves the paper in the position of being party to hiding public finances from the public.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

But there are anonymous donations all the time. Definitely good to ferret out who it was and why with such a large amount on the line, but then is it news? If there is any hint of impropriety yes, but if not.... The paper was looking for graft. There was none. So are you doing a feature on the seniors? Against their will?

Why not go after the anonymous donors to the local college as well? If you're looking for a story, dig out the donors to the athletic programs...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The fact that $10 million was donated is news. It will be reported. Obvious question is who gave the money and why. I agree that if you find out, you print it no matter what.

If you never print it, people are always going to wonder.

And a lot of time these people really don't mind their names being used. They just are being modest and don't want to demand it.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

All right I am convinced it needs to go in. I just wish we went as hard after the people who actually need outing.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They're trickier.

Draft saved Draft deleted