1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: OUTING 2011

If Chicago is the place, hit me up for dining suggestions. I have one or two.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Moddy, I didn't mean to say we could have the outing in Cincy this year. Just sometime down the road, be it next summer or the summer after that.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Got ya - and, hey, if no host steps forward **** start looking at the schedule.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

MLB's website just crashed my browser two times in a row.

Anyway, ticket demand is down for both teams. Just looking around, it looks like group tickets are available for both teams.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ticketing/groups.jsp

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/groups/index.jsp#outings

Friday, Saturday, Sunday? Most everyone attending Saturday, lesser amounts of folks attending Friday & Sunday?

The hotels that I have as customers that are conveniently located include:

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=CHIDNGI

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/CHIMMDT-DoubleTree-by-Hilton-Hotel-Chicago-Magnificent-Mile-Illinois/index.do

http://www.chicagoregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

All are walking distance to everything including the Red Line which goes to both the Cell & Wrigley.

The Hilton Garden Inn is directly above a Red Line station.

I know all of them would work with me.

Southwest has a big operation at Midway, so there are lot's of reasonable flights here, and the trip in from the airport costs the same as any other subway ride, so no rip off there.

Lots of folks would live within driving distance. Downtown parking is a rip-off. If you're driving, you'd want to park and not use your car again until you left.

I park my car in a garage across the street. It's empty on the weekends and I live two blocks from a Red Line stop half way between the downtown hotels & Wrigley. I could also check if we could get a parking rate at the garage for the weekend.

With a little notice, we could plan a very good weekend. Plenty of big bars & restaurants for folks who want to stick together and plenty of cultural stuff for folks who want to slip off.

If no one steps up in Denver or Minneapolis, or if there's a ground swell of support for Chicago, I'll throw a couple of dates out there in the next couple of days.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I love Chicago, and might consider attending my first outing there or Denver if that happens.

6. Moderator1

If you can pull off a decent rate at any of those hotels and find a good weekend, we could seal this deal and look to Minny or Denver for 2012. I think most would prefer the Cubs but finding a Cubs weekend with a Thursday or Monday White Sox home game would be perfect.

We usually go late June early July because so many members cover colleges and that heats up later in July. But the host picks - best dates for the host and everyone deals with it.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

For those considering hosting an outing I can only say go for it. JR and I had a blast hosting the Toronto get together.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ditto on Cleveland.

9. YankeeFan

Cubs only weekend home games in June are against the Yankees, so that's out.

In July, they host the White Sox -- no good -- and the Marlins and the Astros.

The Saturdays would be July 16 vs. the Marlins or July 23 vs. the Astros.

The Sox host the Tigers, A's & Nats in June, and the then the Twins in early July.

The Cubs home stand ending on Sunday, July 24th is the only one I see where the Sox are home on the Monday. I don't see any where you could do a Thursday/Friday.

I looked to see if there's the possibility of a Brewers/Cubs crossover, but the only one is the same possibility as the Cubs/Sox.

10. YankeeFan

The Sox and Brewers have three weekends in June/July that would allow for seeing games at both stadiums if people are interested in that.

Milwaukee is only 90 minutes away and could be done via Amtrak or car.

11. Moderator1

Past hosts correct me if I'm wrong on the tix - the two where I served as host I had all the money almost immediately. If there were problems with that elsewhere, I never heard about them.

YF, if we do this (and it is moving in that direction), YOU pick what works best for YOU. I'd prefer games in Wrigley because of the atmosphere around the stadium. But I'm not the host. You choose that 7/23 weekend, those who wanted could stay for Monday and get tix to the Sox on their own.

No good on Sox-Cubs because tickets will be hard to get?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Impossible.

Draft saved Draft deleted